'02 MG TF 135 Mod Advice

skalcsits

Car
MG TF 135
Hi all;

I am starting to come up with a detailed plan for modifying my TF over the next few years. Eventually I hope to have this as primarily a track driven vehicle which will be driven on the streets occasionally.

Here is a summary of my initial plan for mods (roughly in order);

Ride and Handling:
-16" wheels from my current 15" wheels
-AP brake kit (with uprated rotors and pads all around)
-full bushing replacement for the suspension and mounts
-uprated (and possibly adjustable) tie bars
-adjustable dampers (or coil-over suspension kit)
-Quaife Torsen differential

Engine:
-intake (starting with high performance replacement panel filter, moving to a full induction system later)
-full exhaust (manifold and downpipe, sports cat, silencer)
-electric water pump
-fast-road cams (possibly using a VVC head instead of the non-VVC head)
-stand-alone ECU (or piggy-back ECU if a suitable one is available)
-full port and polish on the cylinder head (may be done in conjunction with the cams)

Any advice or comments are welcome.

Honestly, will be easier just sticking in a VVC engine. Much less work and more power for less then what you have planned. Those said mods will give aprox 160bhp. Same as a VVC engine! You can remove the VVC mech and stick in a pair of Piper cams and a remap with a ITG enclosed induction kit, with vernier pulleys a decent exhaust system and you should see roughly 200bhp.

That is definitely an option I am keeping open as well. I am also keeping forced induction options open, more than likely a supercharger rather than a turbo (I like the more linear power curve of a super charger over that of a turbo)

A couple of things I forgot to add under engine; 52mm throttle body and higher flow fuel pump, possibly larger injectors too

All in all, my goal for power is roughly 200 bhp but I am more concerned with sticking to the road or track. I do plan on adding some useable aero to the body as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned with numbers here, don't forget the TF is lightweight and first you should explore the cars handling and balance before deciding if it's the numbers you want. Even a mildly tuned 160 is very capable on track, 200 in TF may give you a twitchy bum if it is not a balanced set-up. Easy base would be the VVC swap, trophy brakes and Torsen B gearbox or a Lotus one (different ratios), but these change hands for daft money. I think I mentioned it before, spend time around an mgs-on-track trackday and talk to the people there about your aims, you will get some very good advice on what works and what doesn't, it could save you a lot of money and time. However I will admit and say I wouldn't mind trying an F or TF with those figures and set-up right to see what it could do. I doubt if the wife would let me play with her F!

You did mention that, Stamford, and I will be doing just that, spending time at MG's on Track events gleaning as much information as possible from other mgf/tf drivers.

My philosophy when tuning cars is get the handling right for me then start adding power little by little, adjusting the handling after each power increase. In a car as light as this power is definitely not my priority as it is already pretty quick, if not fast. I know the engine is capable of a lot more than 200bhp, with the right funds sunk into it, but I think a absolute final power goal of 200bhp and 200+Nm is reasonable and driveable

I've been doing some research into the differences between the K-series VVC and non-VVC variants and it seems to me the only differences are the actual cylinder head and the oil temperature sensor. To me this makes a non-VVC to VVC conversion fairly straightforward (at least on paper). That is something I will continue to look at further down the road, closer to when I am ready for cams. I am curious to see how well a VVC engine would work with the TF 135 n0n-VVC cams installed (the VVC head reportedly has better breathing characteristics, especially on the inlet side)

Right now I am really liking the gearbox ratios so I want to keep the gear spacing at least. That is why I only plan on changing the standard open differential to a torsen type, since it is a direct replacement.

I enjoy working on the internal components of engines and cars, and the challenges they can present. I plan on doing as much of the labour myself as I possibly can, so the only thing I may lose is the available driving time. Costs of parts and time spent working on the car don't really matter to me. I will modify my car as I can.

I don't intend to come across as stubborn and non-receptive to your advice, and if I do I apologize. I just want to discuss things with people more knowledgeable about the car than I am and explain my way of thinking. I truly do welcome all your thoughts, comments and advice.

I didn't read anything as stubborn at all, so no worries there! There are a few paths to take such an engine, plenty of money to be spent as well but for the right reasons. A very nice project to get into for sure. I was tempted to build an F track car but have found getting in and out of the wife's F is not as fun as it used to be! Join up to a few MG forums as well, you'll find some items changing hands for decent money. I know a chap who has tuned a 1.6 k-series and achieved 145bhp, he hasn't gone wild with the tuning or spent daft amounts, just did it in steps and fitted the right bits, it's on throttle bodies as well. Looking forward to the progress.

After a couple of real mods (Spax adjustable dampers, X-power springs) and some maintenance catch up I found that I am in need of bushings. I was planning on upgrading my bushings anyway so this provides a great excuse to do just that. I have a couple of sets in mind, but am not too sure which would be better. Ride comfort is not an issue for me. If I need a more comfortable ride I will stick with my 15" wheels. As it stands right now I am trying to decide between the stiffest bushings from either Powerflex or Polybush. If anybody has any advice, or another option, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.