Dreaded bits of your driving test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which bits of your driving test did you dread the most?

The reverse around the corner was my hardest maneuver to do. I was using a large Mazda 626 at the time though so it was quite challenging.

The only part I was worried about was the hill start.
My instructor changed from a metro to a mk 1 fiesta a week before my test and it took a while to get used to the clutch.
I remember doing the test and not even thinking about the hill start it just happened and went ok.
Went on to pass first time.

I had a hell of a time with the parallel parking test. My first 2 driving tests were perfect except I messed up the parallel parking both times. On the second attempt I even rubbed the bumper of the other car:oops: mind you this was almost 30 years ago at d I'm an ace at it now!

The officer who was with me on the 3rd try was the same one from the first 2 tries. It was snowing and sleeting badly and I was driving my dad's 87 Toyota pickup truck with a 4 speed stick. Terrible snow vehicle. We tried to go up a hill and I nailed the hill start but we didn't even get 30 feet and the truck lost traction and we slid backwards down the hill! I handled it well and he remembered me so we finished by just doing the parallel parking part of the test and he passed me |B

3 point turn when you fail if you nudge the curb. Like it matters.

I am curb phobic. I think the reason it's this rigorous is to discourage drivers from hitting curbs (or is it kerbs, I really don't know) with gay abandon and thinking that it's OK to continue doing so.

Parallel parking is a recent addition yes?

Let me think, it was a while ago now! I can only remember the reversing around the corner being the one as they were quite pedantic on the distance between car and kerb being kept constant. The emergency stop being another, pre-ABS era here, so it had to be controlled, quick with no skidding.

Let me think, it was a while ago now! I can only remember the reversing around the corner being the one as they were quite pedantic on the distance between car and kerb being kept constant. The emergency stop being another, pre-ABS era here, so it had to be controlled, quick with no skidding.

I hated reversing round a corner. Luckily I didn't get it on my test and was a breeze to pass.

For me it was the emergency stop also, the examiner would insist on telling me to "stop now" by clouting his clipboard on the dashboard, I nearly put my head through the roof with shock as the chap took about 15 minutes before he done it :lol:

I am curb phobic. I think the reason it's this rigorous is to discourage drivers from hitting curbs (or is it kerbs, I really don't know) with gay abandon and thinking that it's OK to continue doing so.

Parallel parking is a recent addition yes?

US = curb; UK = kerb

The first emergency stop is AFTER they get their license and been let loose on the road over here. It is not part of the test, how dumb is that:eek:

The first emergency stop is AFTER they get their license and been let loose on the road over here. It is not part of the test, how dumb is that:eek:

I have often questioned the emergency stop thing. It's rare to find cars without ABS now so the only thing tested is the candidate's reaction to spurious stimuli.

In my years as a defensive driver trainer there have been many instances of experienced, newly licensed , as well as learner drivers that have needed 1 on 1 in car instruction on the art of braking to a controlled stop in a simulated emergency situation .

One case springs to mind was when a female became visably upset and it turned out that her mum had told her never to brake too hard as she would lock the wheels and lose control so she would not brake any harder than 7 out of 10 (10 being lock up ) when questioned further it turned out that dear old mum had been in 4 rear end crashes as a result of say tailgating,inattention and failing to brake hard enough.

IMO this is a classic example why some parents should not be "teaching"? anyone how to drive.

In my years as a defensive driver trainer there have been many instances of experienced, newly licensed , as well as learner drivers that have needed 1 on 1 in car instruction on the art of braking to a controlled stop in a simulated emergency situation .

One case springs to mind was when a female became visably upset and it turned out that her mum had told her never to brake too hard as she would lock the wheels and lose control so she would not brake any harder than 7 out of 10 (10 being lock up ) when questioned further it turned out that dear old mum had been in 4 rear end crashes as a result of say tailgating,inattention and failing to brake hard enough.

IMO this is a classic example why some parents should not be "teaching"? anyone how to drive.

There are plenty of shockingly bad, yet 'experienced', drivers.