Petrol heads in your family

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many petrol heads do you have in your family or is it just you?

How much influence did you have over the petrol heads in your family becoming petrol heads?

My wife! She can and will turn wrenches right along side of me. |B She also has been on our Road America track several times chasing me!!! :cool:

Wife, son and daughter. Wife has an Astra Turbo, son an Audi s3 and daughter a Merc SLK. At the moment I am driving a VW Fox -)

Wife decoked her Anglia before I knew her. They all want to drive the Elan up the strip.

Reactions: Teo
Both my parents never drove so I don't know where I got my interest from, Matchbox cars I guess! Now only my middle daughter has an interest in cars, she is into VWs and is on her 3rd Scirocco. Two of my three girls have been on trackdays with me and enjoyed it, but only one would do it themselves. The wife will not attend a trackday and never did like watching me race. She rarely goes in my MG, says it's too noisy and too hard a ride! It may have been a different story if I was still racing as back then as the girls could have started racing at the age of ten, so maybe a good job I took a 20+ year sabbatical!

No one in my family is a petrol head, I am all alone :(

This is something I hope to cure as my granddaughter gets older though |B

Nobody in my family is a petrol head anymore.. My grandfather was, and its where I got my love of cars from - but since he passed away, I'm the lone ranger!

Just me, but my youngest son is showing an interest. My wife likes cars but doesn't know how to turn a wrench.

My eldest son has given up waiting for me to give him my car and has started a 2.3 Volvo turbo motor into a 142 that I was intending to enter in historic rallies but never did.

I can see it now- "happy birthday honey!" "Thanks, what did you get me for my birthday- that necklace I wanted, a new purse.... diamonds??" "Well, not exactly, it's a set of wrenches! Look, they are shiny and new!" "Get out you jerk!"

I can see it now- "happy birthday honey!" "Thanks, what did you get me for my birthday- that necklace I wanted, a new purse.... diamonds??" "Well, not exactly, it's a set of wrenches! Look, they are shiny and new!" "Get out you jerk!"

:rofl:......:lol:

Im on my own. My son does follow my car at events but does not own a car just his company van. The Missus only likes cars that are Red & does 200mpg so im well isolated. Had no input from my Dad who was into Steam Trains & my Brothers were totally not interested in cars. It happened to me like this . Owned a Standard 850cc Mini back in the mid 1960's never thought of making it go faster it was simply a Pash wagon that the Missus remembers well. A friend asked me to go for a ride in his modded Mini it only had 80bhp but was like rocket to me. I was hooked first second of the ride & simply had to have one so I bought a Cooper & fitted a Supercharger it was the start of a lifetime passion with fast cars now past 50 years.

My dad worked for Ford for 35 years which I think almost completely crushed his interest in cars.

When I was born, he was driving an extensively modified Hillman Imp which he had bought to replace his Mk II Jag as it was a gas guzzler and insurance headache.

I believe he also marshalled at Brands Hatch before my siblings and I arrived.

Since the Imp he had a Maxi for a little while and he fabricated some pseudo race harnesses for the back seat so he could attach mine and my brother's baby seats, but since then he's had three vans (a VW bay window jobby, a Bedford Midi and now a Toyota Estima).

I'd call him a Petrol Head, but I'm sure he'd disagree. That said he's started going to Santa Pod and Brands Hatch again in the last ten years or so...

He's always helped me and my brother work on our cars, and we are Petrol Heads of sorts.

My brother and I used to play with our cars more when they were simpler, cheaper and we had no rent to pay(!) Mostly repairs in the rain and snow, but we did (OK mostly him) clean up and polish a second hand Cinquecento Sporting cylinder head and plonk it on a 999cc Fiat Panda Super. We got a shop to grind it down for a higher compression ratio, advanced the timing and dropped on a K&N pancake filter. No idea if or what the increase in power was, but the top end was higher (off the clock) and it seemed to get there quicker.

The Uno Turbo alloys looked trick, too!

I'm a bit rusty on the DIY these days, and my cars are a bit more complicated, but I've found inspiration from Mighty Car Mods on YouTube, so I'm hoping to do some DIY repairs and basic mods over the summer so my car is less of a shed/liability to drive.