Spotting Hypermilers

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you have any friends who are hypermilers? They will go to extraordinary lengths to save fuel.

I have one friend who turns off his engine every time he stops (junctions, traffic lights, Stop signs....) He will also turn off the engine on the road on hills and drives at a constant 56.678 mph (or whatever) as this is the most economical speed.

The give away though is that he can quote his MPG to 2 decimal places and works out routes, not based on distance or speed but on the lack of hills and best fuel economy!

So are you one of these, do you know any hypermilers? Do they bug you, amuse you or inspire you?

i drive a 5.0 v8 trans am could not care less about my mpg
then my other motor is my discovery 2.5 tdi and thats does about the same mpg due to the stuff thats on it

Bug me and annoy me, however if i could get 10p per mile i'd be a happy bunny

In 1998 the 10p/mile benchmark was easily achievable in any car which would do around 30mpg

With current road fuel prices I cannot see any way to achieve this.

HDi still believes that driving style is the biggest thing that influences fuel usage.

It's possible to drive a 1.2 Punto hard and get embarrsingly low fuel figures. But you could also take a mercedes-benz E320-CDi, drive it swiftly and beat the Punto hands down.

Turning off an engine when going downhill is retarded. You'll get at most 2 pumps of the brake pedal and then no servo assistance.

Hypermilers should be shot. The End.

in 1998 the 10p/mile benchmark was easily achievable in any car which would do around 30mpg

with current road fuel prices i cannot see any way to achieve this.

Hdi still believes that driving style is the biggest thing that influences fuel usage.

It's possible to drive a 1.2 punto hard and get embarrsingly low fuel figures. But you could also take a mercedes-benz e320-cdi, drive it swiftly and beat the punto hands down.

lpg

Turning off an engine when going downhill is retarded. You'll get at most 2 pumps of the brake pedal and then no servo assistance.

Hypermilers should be shot. The End.

It's also illegal in the United Kingdom.

Besides that, going downhill the ECU will spot the fact that the accelerator pedal is fully off so the fuelling will be cut down to minimal or even nil in many cases.

Diesel engines excel at this trick as they run on excess air (O2) anyway.

We also use computer to communicate with our cars, what does this say about the world!

A point here that is worth raising, a car in neutral uses more fuel than a car in gear with no acceleration.

Yes HDI, turning off the engine is illegal in the UK. I guess stop start technology is allowed and suppose the exception is where the car is stationary.

It's also illegal in the United Kingdom.

Besides that, going downhill the ECU will spot the fact that the accelerator pedal is fully off so the fuelling will be cut down to minimal or even nil in many cases.

Diesel engines excel at this trick as they run on excess air (O2) anyway.

Well exactly, mine cuts off the fuel when coasting.

By the way, shouldnt you change your name to Straight-6 fun?

:p

@ Waynne - yes, in neutral the engine needs fuel to idle. If it's on trailing throttle then the cars forward motion keeps it running thereby the ECU can sut down the injectors completely. You can prove this by switching your computer display to instantaneous mode.

Switching of the engine downhill ...... it's unsafe and can cause accidents!!! Guess these people didn't quite get it when they both a car ..... cars use petrol to work. Maybe they only afforded to buy a vehicle and they don't afford it's running costs!!!!

It can become a challenge, like anything else. If you managed 49mpg on the last tank, can you break the 50mpg barrier? It quickly becomes a way of life and there is no excess stress involved.

I would never go to the extremes that some people go to!
But I've got to admit when I first got the 75 itwwas my first diesel and seeing the mpg there on the display I did tinker around with my revs and gearing to see how high I could get it. After I achieved 60mpg+ on the motorway the fad wore of quite quickly !

I spent a while commuting to London from home 3 times a week and changed the 2.0L Vectra to a 406 Hdi diesel to save fuel. I then decided to see how much I could get out of a full tank of diesel and best I managed was 1017miles before I chickened out!, I tried all the methods to save fuel, hydrogen top up, drafting behind coaches and ecu mapping to give me the best possible range but these days as I don't commute to work (not by car anyway) I'm lucky to see 15 mpg....but I never brought it for it's economy!. Btw there is a forum for hypermilers with lots of top tips for saving fuel.......(sticks tongue in cheek)
O and happy new year to everyone, sorry it's a bit late!