Ball turning attachement for a lathe

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Looking to buy a ball/radius turning attachment for my lathe.

However, with various designs available, I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them, Stamford? :)

We are being robbed of a lathe from the scrap metal carpet baggers. It is a Colchester Master VS3250. I don't have a ruddy clue what a ball/radius turning attachment is :oops: But I know a man that does, I shall ask him in the morning and try and send you a photo Steve to see if is suitable for your needs :)

I've never actually used one purely because as an ex-toolmaker I would grind a turning tool up to do the job. The type of attachment will depend on the size of radius you intend to create. There is the g-clamp type that clamps into the exiting toolpost holder. The other is one that clamps to the cross-slide but there is a restriction on the diameter to be turned.
images
upload_2014-12-10_8-9-49.jpeg

Thanks. I had thought about making a cutter, especially as I mainly deal in aluminium, but that means making one for each radius.

This one looks interesting as it can do concave as well as convex and bolts into the existing toolpost. I know I could use bull nosed end mills but a collection would be needed.

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Lathe_Ball_Turning_Attachment.html

What do you reckon?

The one in the link looks like it is very flexible and ideal for the job. Have to say the text in the first video is suspect, why zero the 'z' axis readout? That's the vertical plane!

My apologies for not getting back to this thread sooner OG, the lathe has since gone to the scrap chap with all of the spare accessories! I hope you finally get what you are looking for :)

Story of my life :-( :)

I am in no rush and will probably wait until after Xmas before splashing out.

It's a crying shame as there wasn't a damn thing wrong with it, they just did not want to keep it as the engineering workshop was being dismantled. They actually got paid to write the thing off and the scrap chap came and dismantled it free off charge :(

Ball turning attachment arrived yesterday. Design changes mean that I don't need this tool now, but it will no doubt prove useful in the fullness of time :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back