My 2.0 TDI 140 - Remapped it finally

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Just by way of a project thread I thought I'd get something up here. A full review and details will follow shortly.

Firstly I must say that Audi's are not made as well as they used to be! I'm having a number of silly niggling faults, clip broke on the gear selector cable, air leak from the brake booster somewhere, battery dies (I put this down to maintenance), split CV boot and a weird bearing noise which I can't track down properly.

I've been dealing with Rob at JR Tuning our new forum sponsors and he's sorted me out with a ByteFlash unit. This allows you to flash your ECU whenever you want to with a preloaded MAP!

This little box downloads your cars ECU, immobiliser settings etc... You then send the file over to Rob and he massages the code making your car faster!

I'm pretty impressed so far. Not had a proper run or comparisons yet but they will come and there will be a full review on the main site soon.

I will be getting an economy map soon as well, all stored in the unit so I can switch from standard to economy to performance just by plugging it in and reflashing. The flash process takes a few minutes and is quite painless.

The first map I was sent was OK, nothing earth shattering, more Torque. The problem I had was Audi has updated my ECU and it had Torque limits applied to each gear! This is a manual car though. Rob asked me how I was getting on and when I told him it was just OK he redid the map and gave me so much more.

The car has noticeably more Torque, acceleration is much brisker. 6th gear now pulls the car at 30 without any juddering or complaints. Power delivery is smooth and linear right up to the red line. I suspect I have a flat spot somewhere but I need to try more runs to determine this, I only got to spend 10 minutes in the car and the engine was cold for most of that so I had to take it easy.

Last edited:
My Cooper S has torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear! Sucks.... A remap will sort that though! Glad your getting on well with the new software. Is this an alternative to the Bluefin unit?

It is much better IMO but I suppose it's a similar concept. It helps having an expert who can tweak the files for you or provide a rolling road setup to create the file you can then take away.

Glad you're happy so far Waynne. It's great to have some feedback :). I'll have the economy programme sent over to you later today to load onto there as well :) ...

... I might also do you a mental race-map too just for a giggle ;)

That sounds like a blast.

What does the hybrid blend remap act like? Econ under 2000 rpm performance over 2000 or is it more subtle than that?

Congrats bro waynne , question is will this be enough to satisfy the hunger in a mans Heart :p

It will more than do for now plus I can afford the fuel as it's using about the same!

Next time I get hungry I'll switch back to the standard map for a week and then put this one back on. It will feel all new again!

I had a nice long country run today, the car felt totally different, much more pull through the whole rev range.

You will get used to the power unfortunately - it's just a fact of life. The problem is in my experience is stock then feels more like the car is broken lol. If I run my car stock (572hp) it feels like something's gone wrong! Despite it still being a very quick car! You just get used to power... it's really annoying but why us petrol (or diesel!) heads always crave more!

yep ... you wont bare with the stock condition for over 10 minutes .. hell you will hate the car and start doubting it :p even when you switch back to the better map you will still have that bad taste in your mouth hehe we cant escape this fate haha

My Cooper S has torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear! Sucks.... A remap will sort that though! Glad your getting on well with the new software. Is this an alternative to the Bluefin unit?

I'm not 100% clued up with Bluefin but it's a handheld programmer just the same. I'm not sure how bluefin is operated though - in terms of - does it just flash a database tune to your car or do you send the file to someone with your requirements for something bespoke??

Looks like I'm on the slippery slope then!

You are on a slippery slope unfortunately. I had a guy recently with a C63 AMG that had it mapped, took it to Mercedes for a service and they did a software update and reverted the car to stock. He hadn't a clue they could/would revert it to standard, so proceeded to take the car back twice to Mercedes moaning the car doesn't feel right since they worked on it. He eventually brought it to me to check out, and nothing was wrong - pulled the maps off it, and simply it'd just been put back to standard.

Still waiting to try out the performance and race maps against the stop watch! The time will come soon enough!

The new revised ECO map seems to be very good indeed, I'm doing a long drive this weekend so we'll see how it fares on a run! :D

Eco map - revised. This gave me 49mpg on my usual commutes over 1 month. I need to stopwatch the 0-60 time of this map as power is less than in version 1 but mpg was only 42mpg so I'm pleased with the gains on this map.

Performance map
0-60 7.39 seconds! Very impressed, loads of Torque and I get wheelspin at 3000 RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear now! It's almost like there is a second engine that wakes up at 3000 rpm.

Economy is 46 mpg for my usual commutes over 1 month, so quite pleased with that especially in this cold weather!

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back