ECU re map?

bluecat46

Wrench Pro
Car
Focus Zetec S
Hi all, Ok I have read the comments about ecu re map and air filters and it seems to be a grey area, some gains or not. However those how have a focus 1.6 zetec s and have done the re map and air filter what gains or not have you seen in BHP, torque and fuel comsumption?

Thanks

In reality 7-10bhp depending on the filter used would be a realistic figure. It's not really an engine that will gain massive power, the only real gain from mapping this little naturally aspirated engine is going to be ignition timing advance. You will however generally find better throttle response too on small N/A engines post-map which make them nicer to drive, even if it isn't an actual power gain.

Foam flows better than paper... Just try to avoid any sort of filter that requires excessive oiling to filter properly. They're more trouble than their worth in my experience. Excess oil can end up fouling the airflow meter.

Foam flows better than paper... Just try to avoid any sort of filter that requires excessive oiling to filter properly. They're more trouble than their worth in my experience. Excess oil can end up fouling the airflow meter.
Cotton gauze air filters perform the best in my experience, but anything is better than paper as long as it doesn't have a restrictive rubber mesh on the back like some of the cheaper filters do. Bear in mind that most OEM filter set ups flow perfectly well until you start adding extra mods to the engine.

Bear in mind that most OEM filter set ups flow perfectly well until you start adding extra mods to the engine.

This is a good point and certainly something to note really. Factory air boxes / filters are nowhere near as bad as the 'rep' they seem to get.

Piper X is fine, its foam and as per Wayne's post cotton can be better.. but i've never had a problem with piper cross in terms of sensor fowling or anything else. I ran Piper X in my C63 AMG.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back