Can't remap, not sure about tuning box.

Juddian

Righto chaps and any ladies present too, i'm a newbie here.

We've got, but its really georgeous's car, a 07 hilux 3.0 litre auto.
Its a good motor and goes pretty well, but the lady would like a bit more overtaking power.
After reading this section of the forum, i contacted Celtic to enquire about remapping, as they seem to be good at it.
Well apparently Toyota's are a PITA for doing anything like this, so no joy there.
The chap i spoke to wasn't altogether struck on the idea of a Steinbauer tuning box for the motor either.
The Steinbauer doesn't increase the boost pressure or anything like that, it increases the duration of injector openings, probably some other stuff thats way over my empty head too.
The Celtic chap explained that compared to a remap, the tuning box is not so precise, thats fair enough, i can understand that.

So dear boys, where do i go from here, i don't want a road rocket, but if we could get the torque up about 25%+, that would make a big difference.

Now bear in mind its still under warranty and i'd ideally like to keep it that way, do you have any suggestions for me.

If it can't be done, it won't be the end of the world, and i promise not to cry, well only a bit...:embarrest:

dont touch tuning boxes. most of them are just a resistor in a box that changes the value that one of the engines sensors are sending back to the ecu.

i would say a piggy back ecu might work but not 100%

Actually i think i'm wrong in calling the Steinbauer a tuning box, its probably a piggy back now i think of it, as it connects to all 4 injectors, and needs various connections from throttle sensor etc.

Actually i think i'm wrong in calling the Steinbauer a tuning box, its probably a piggy back now i think of it, as it connects to all 4 injectors, and needs various connections from throttle sensor etc.

I would leave such devices well alone. If it's connecting to the injectors directly then it's simply increasing the pulse duration (open time) directly. You will get more torque but I think you'll pay for it at the pumps and in emitted soot.

Hi and welcome. Yes Toyotas are a pain to remap - try a replacement ecu such as the Apexi Power FC. This takes over all the function of the ECU and allows full remapping.

An induction kit will help the breathing, a sports exhaust may invalidate the warantee.

Hi and welcome. Yes Toyotas are a pain to remap - try a replacement ecu such as the Apexi Power FC. This takes over all the function of the ECU and allows full remapping.

An induction kit will help the breathing, a sports exhaust may invalidate the warantee.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

This sounds mighty expensive straight away, do you mean replacing the ecu completely, if so where would one make enquiries about this, also this definately sounds like a job best left till the warranty's out.

Hdi Fun. Whats this about masking off the wastegate please, i presume to allow more boost to develope, whats the low down please.

Quote: "Hdi Fun. Whats this about masking off the wastegate please, i presume to allow more boost to develope, whats the low down please."

Nope - sorry - that's me being silly. In the old days there were things you could do with vacuum operated wastegates (like make holes in the actuator hose) where you bled off some of the vacuum to make it stay closed longer.

Do a search for "Apexi Power FC" and you will find a supplier. It should cost a similar amount as a top end remap and will certainly give a lot more power.

Another option might be a Boost controller which will alter the wastegate - a bit more technical than masking tape ;) This is of course all assuming that the car is a turbo.

Things were so much simpler when you had a good old bosch mechanical pump, half a turn in with the mixture screw and away she goes.

Thanks chaps i'll have search for this Apexi thing, and yes it is a (variable vane) turbo.

hello mate im new here but my dad with his freelander was not lieking his ecomny he got a piggy back box which works with the ecu however inside it has switchs so you can change the differnece whether you want more power or ecomny but you have to work it out becasue you can do to much but this box he got worked well his 2.2td freelander was 150 bhp where the range roiver evoke pos had the same engine but 40 bhp and the ecomny was higher so my dad paid 90 plus quid for the boxe and the difference are great no he is just fine tunign it but it up to atleast 180 bhp and he has gfone from 32mpg to at least 40 so it does make a improvemnt

hello mate im new here but my dad with his freelander was not lieking his ecomny he got a piggy back box which works with the ecu however inside it has switchs so you can change the differnece whether you want more power or ecomny but you have to work it out becasue you can do to much but this box he got worked well his 2.2td freelander was 150 bhp where the range roiver evoke pos had the same engine but 40 bhp and the ecomny was higher so my dad paid 90 plus quid for the boxe and the difference are great no he is just fine tunign it but it up to atleast 180 bhp and he has gfone from 32mpg to at least 40 so it does make a improvemnt

Ten out of ten for resurrecting a thread ! ! ! Check the date

IMO, the date of the previous post is irrelevant, in fact it is a good thing as it can help new members and it is now a current thread :)

150 to 180 explains why remaps are better than piggy backs. A decent remap will get you around 210bhp along with the mpg improvment.

At least we can conclude that the fact still stands - remapping is superior to piggy backing.

Toyotas are still next to impossible to remap without hardware changes though.

you guys are correct, the date OP, diesels in USA have changed lightyrs, since 2008.

Our newer engines are much quieter, smell almost non existent, and power is up an average of 20% since then.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also fair to say that piggy back devices have come a long way, some even include proper maps and quite complex electronics but I'd still recommend a proper remap if you've had any mods done to your car.

On locked non remappable ecu's piggy backs have a place, the good ones become a secondary ECU and some drivers have even removed the ECU and replaced it with a mappable one.

Just my two pence on this... tuning boxes of 'old school' are pretty crap. Most generally just increase fuel pressure to get more fuel through or something of that nature depending exactly where they connect. What you want is a proper digital tuning module... something with a processor and maps in it. They'll still connect to things like fuel rail but they'll also connect to a crank sensor (to get RPM pickup and thus be able to operate different values at different revs like the stock ECU map does) and they'll connect to a boost pressure sensor source of some form, to increase boost by a set amount. As a result you get both fuel and boost so it won't run sooty and maps setup to do both of these correctly based on RPM. They're far more expensive than a standard 'tuning box' but still cheaper than a whole replacement ECU.