Mondeo water temp

trumpet30

Wrench Pro
Car
VW Polo 1.4TDI
I have just bought a 2009 mondeo 1.8tdci. All the cars I have ever driven normally have an engine temp of 90c which is normally the halfway mark on the gauge. This car however the gauge sits between 75 and 90c.

Is this right for the car or so I need to start looking at thermostats/temperature sensors.

Thanks

Does it sit still once it's warmed up or does it go up and down depending on wether you are idling or driving

If it's still then there's not much to worry about, if it moves then you probably just need a new thermostat.

Yes when you drive along the temperature varies. I put the heater on full with the fan on full and you could see the needle drop. When put back to normal temp it creeped up again.

Will be replacing the stat this weekend.

Any special procedures required on this car for removing airlocks once the new thermostat has been fitted?

I have changed the thermostat and vented all the air. Temp still hangs between 75 and 90c. If i wait in traffic it gets slightly closer to 90 but then pull away and it drops again. Is this a duff sensor as the temp should be 90c constantly.