Need help please

alfa3

Car
alfa romeo 155TB
Hi, this is my first post on here, so hoping someone can help.

I have a JCW Mini Coupe, everything great, except, on occasions it blows, for a short moment, bluey grey exhaust, enough to cause me concern.

This happens after a run, fast or slow, after idling/stationary for a few minutes.

It is not using oil, the water level has dropped to just above minimum, after approx. 2000 miles.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANKS
p.s. I need to update my car details !

Last edited:
How is the fuel economy and performance stacking up? Does it do this when warm or cold?

I wouldn't worry about this - blue grey is not that serious IMO. I'd worry more about black sooty, white or blue exhaust.

The dropped water level is a minor concern but "burning water" tends to create white exhaust gases.

What do the spark plugs look like when you remove them?

I see you joined us in November 2012 buddy but today you posted your first post :amazed:

So what have you been up to car wise in all that time then? :)

Thanks for your replies and welcome.
Not quite the advice I was hoping for, as in my opinion there is something wrong that needs sorting.
I dont want to leave it to chance.
The car is still under warranty, the dealer has so far failed to find the problem, and is at the moment pursuing this with mini direct, in the hope that they will come up with the answer.
They won't need much of an excuse to get out of paying for repairs, if and when something more serious happens.
There is also the possible problem when I come to sell !!
At the moment performance/ economy as it should be.
Thanks again

Does it do this when you put your foot down or just now and then at light load?

I can understand you wanting the car to be 100% ok especially if it's under warranty, but I am sorry if I couldn't fully answer your question I was trying to put your mind at ease.

If the main dealer is struggling to diagnose a fault then I'm going to find it nigh on impossible to work out what's wrong from a brief description. The more information we can have the more chance we have of getting you nearer to a solution.

What tests have the dealers done? Fault code read, emissions check, spark plug condition visual check, compression checks etc...

I thought blue-grey was oil burn smell? If it happens at idle, stand behind it, get someone to rev and smell the smoke, does it smell of burnt oil? If it's a JCW is it the supercharged one, have you had it fettled and perhaps it's leaking some oil past a piston ring?

As to the water, I think that's unusual tbh, for a modern car. I've never had to top water up in cars for years.

Does it after a run (intermittently) wether fast or slow, having stood for a few minutes @ tick over, then blip the throttle, and a cloud of exhaust is emitted. Generally light blue/grey.
Does not seem to do it at any other time.
I am told all tests have been carried out, including compression test, but need to pursue this, as I have my doubts.
I also agree re. the water.
Thanks again for your help, so far.

Fettled means tuned for more power.

I do think it sounds like something is accumulating at idle amd then being burntoff. Woulx be worth taking the plugs out and seeing if one looks dodgy.

Thought you might be interested in the outcome to the problem.

After much discussion/visits to the dealer, and to cut a long story short the car needed a decok !! which has been done with new valves etc.

I must say whilst the car went well before, its going better again and with a smoother tick over.

So at the moment am well pleased.

Anyone got any ideas why this should be needed @ 13000 miles, also bearing in mind these engines (N14) like being driven, if you see what I mean.
Thanks

With only 13k miles on the clock I am stunned that it needed valve work so soon. I assume this was all done under warranty.

Yes it was uner warranty.

Any ideas why ??

No buddy, they would be guesses at best. I would however ask the question of the garage who performed the repairs. Is this likely to happen again when I reach 26k miles? this would be high on my list of questions to ask them.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back