5 easy ways to save fuel

Don't carry unnecessary loads in the car.

If you want to be anal, only keep a 1/4 tank of fuel. Mind you, the extra trips to the fuel station will probably negate any saving -) I run from "full to the brim" to warning light, so I average out at 1/2 tank full.

Buy a more fuel efficient car.

Use the car as little as possible. Sounds obvious but how many of us just nip up to the shops in the car rather than walking?

MA has hit the nail on the head - not starting the engine is the single biggest fuel saver.

2nd, to my mind, is driving style and anticipation. This can reasonably be coupled with routine servicing, correct tyre pressures (which is crucial for safety as well). I usually run my tyres at the full load pressures (not the autobahn 150mph settings mind) even though the car is lightly loaded most of the time. Ride is a little firmer but there's no compromise in handling and grip. If anything it's slightly more agile on the slightly higher pressure settings.

And if you do have to use your car avoid using your right foot as much as possible.

buy a slower car, preferably a non turbo diesel - it will be fast enough to get to places but will accellerate so slowly all thoughts of driving fast will soon dissapear

That was a serious suggestion. I bought a diesel scenic for work when my honda auto box expired .
At first it seemed very slow but becuase of the low end power (relatively) it doesnt seem as slow as it is especially when you pull away .This makes it bearable and you can cruise comfortably on the motorways once you get there
So I can still get about ok and after a while you get used to a different driving style.

Doesn't a turbo make a car more efficient? If you drive a turbo as slowly as a non turbo surely it will return better mpg?

Hard to say because if you're so gentle with it that it never spools up you're running a needlessly low compression engine.

We use to have a Seat Ibiza 1.9D non turbo and that was surprisingly immediate in its responses. Only 64bhp!!!! but 130lbft at 1300rpm made for effortless town driving in a small car. No waiting about for turbo response is the reason mainly.

But, it wasn't sensational on fuel on longer journeys by any stretch of anyone's imagination.

Doesn't a turbo make a car more efficient? If you drive a turbo as slowly as a non turbo surely it will return better mpg?

Possibly,possibly not ..........but you may have missed my point

what I meant was that my scenic pulls away ok but then doesnt accerate anywhere near fast enough to "race" anything and I mean anything,

For me that means I just drive around very sedately something I dont do normally
That means better mpg - if I had a turbo Id just drive around quicker.

very true
The scenic pulls away like a train in first and cruises comfortably at 70-80mph but inbetween it increases speed rather than accellerates ,

very relaxing to drive