HID headlights

gixxer600k4

Tuner
Car
audi a3 2.0 fsi
i have recently fitted some audi day/running lights and when on along with my head lights the looks slightly blue because my headlights are a dull white/yellow. is it possible to fit the standard HID headlights from the 2005 (single grill) modal to mine! i have an audi a3 2003 8p (split grill)

I'm not sure about that swap. But you can fit HID light as long as they have a dipped and high beam then they are road legal. If you go for an aftermarket kit make sure they have both.....Did the design change from your car to the new one?

Wrong turbonutter.

if you want to fit the HiD lights then your going to need ££££££££
new projector housings
bulbs (lamps if Hdi's reading)
ballests
auto leveling sensers.
hight sensor (cant remember the proper name for them ) for the self leveling lights normally found under the rear of the car iirc
light washers - may already have them

i posted something up over a year ago about the fitting of HID kits to cars and the fact they are unlawful.
and if you hae a proper MOT tester (not the chavs friend that will pass just about anything if you slip him a couple of notes ) they should fail due to the light beam pattern being off.

i posted something up over a year ago about the fitting of HID kits to cars and the fact they are unlawful.
and if you hae a proper MOT tester (not the chavs friend that will pass just about anything if you slip him a couple of notes ) they should fail due to the light beam pattern being off.

I read somewhere the other day that if fitted correctly with a low beam and normal beam then they are legal. I'll try an find it again. I always thought they was illegal until I saw an article about it the other day...:D

yea u for proper HID you need automatic leveling. i didnt want to fit just aftermarket tacky ones because the beam is rubbish, it is ilegal and it just looks blue, not HID. i guess its too much money to even bother with it then!

thanks for the help!

sorry i thought ou were on about upgrade kits

for the proper ones you still need the auto leveling NOT the manual ones that are in most cars
i wanted to get these kits but was told all i need is the bulbs, could you explain whats the difference pg please??
is it a whole new wire loom or what??

You will need also a pair of control ballasts to ignite the arc. But to do this legally you would have to fit the light enclosures from a model in the range fitted with HiDs at the factory.

Additionally you will need to fit headlight cleaning and automatic levelling.

You can, however, fit aftermarket incandescent lamps (H1, H4, H7 etc) filled with Xenon gas. These are not HiDs and are totally permitted on the road provided that the rating does not exceed 55w

i wanted to get these kits but was told all i need is the bulbs, could you explain whats the difference pg please??

Don't listen to them... If you want HID Lights then you have to replace the whole light unit. You cannot just replace the bulbs...

You do have to fit the whole assembly. HIDs don't have filaments. They use an electric arc drawn between two electrodes suspended inside the bulb. The bulb is filled with Xenon gas at very low pressure.

The arc has to be struck. That's the first job for the ballast. It provides a 25kV spike to start the arc. After that they maintain a nominal operating voltage of about 90 volts. The current is very tightly regulated to avoided the arc either extinguishing itself or burning too hard, which would cause the lamp (proper word for bulb) to explode.

The principle is similar to mercury arc and SON (high pressure sodium vapour) street lights. SON lamps have been popular for street and stadium lighting since the 1980s due to their much better spectral characteristics over a mercury vapour lamp. Both are unsuited to automotive applications as the startup time is of the order of several minutes. Further, they cannot be switched off and then immediately back on again without a rest period which can also extend to a few minutes.

Whether HIDs provide you with better vision is debatable. They are, without question, visibly and measurably brighter. But the light that appears white is not actually spectrally continuous; rather it is comprised of a number of line spectra which together gives the appearance of being white.

This can lead to problems with visual perception. It's a topic I don't fully understand but I can see why light comprised of a continuous spectrum would be more pleasing to the human eye. After all, that's how sunlight behaves.

you can legally buy kits which have the lamps ( Keeping HDi happy ) and ballests, basically you connect you wiring to the adaptor adaptor to the ballast, battery and earth wires to the ballest and the ballest to the lamps.

although these can be bought leglly there use is unlawful ( Hdi is the man to confirm this ) although this may be different in southern ireland.
plus a proper MOT tester, one who follows the book, should fail due to the beam pattern being off.

I have A 2005 bmw 1 series and im looking for a good but cheap hid would i need one with canbus?

Im a novice to hid i have off the market headlights with have angel headlights

WHATS THE BEST KIT ON EBAY THAT ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back