Do little cars get bullied

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was in a friends car today and I was amazed at how many drivers tried to push through or demand right of way when they didn't have the right of way.

His car is a 106 so this got me thinking, is it the size of the car that makes a difference?

In my car people will often pull over to let me through, does this mean I drive more assertively in a bigger car or is it down to the size of the car and people tend to give more space to larger cars.

I think so, certainly in London! I tend to drive with an attitude anyway as I am sure that all the numpty's out on the road behind the wheel of a car/banger is out to get my baby! May God have mercy on their soul as I won't if they hit my car! :mad:

I find that trucks, SUVs and sportscars tend to try to force right of way on me a lot. But I'm fairly aggressive. I love the look on their faces when my tiny Saturn has blocked their plans to take advantage of my lack of size by using said lack of size to my advantage. Ticks off pickup truck drivers something fierce.

I think it depends on the type of driver. When people try and bully me off the road, or think they have right of way because they have a bigger car, I just put my foot down, and they end up getting out of my way. I lack the self preservation switch.

I think it depends on the type of driver. When people try and bully me off the road, or think they have right of way because they have a bigger car, I just put my foot down, and they end up getting out of my way. I lack the self preservation switch.

this made me laugh!!
my philosophy is i have insurance so test me;)

This is what i do as well.

this made me laugh!!
my philosophy is i have insurance so test me;)

When I had my Smart people were quite good to me, letting me out of busy junctions etc. I think it was because car was still a bit of a novelty at that time, lorry drivers used to flash me back in when I passed them, I'm sure they were taking the micky but I found it funny too.:lol:
The MX-5 is completely the opposite, and people think they can just push me around so I have to work hard to protect my bubble. One day someone's going to get a hot curling tong in the ear. :p

I like to think that if I allow a person out at a junction or am going slow enough for someone to back out, I will then get the same treatment. Not all the time, but a little thanks goes a long way. Today, driving to work I let a school run mum pull out of her driveway in a massive Cayenne, not a single appreciative gesture! :mad:

I like to think that if I allow a person out at a junction or am going slow enough for someone to back out, I will then get the same treatment. Not all the time, but a little thanks goes a long way. Today, driving to work I let a school run mum pull out of her driveway in a massive Cayenne, not a single appreciative gesture! :mad:

christian motoring never works.

Different approach indeed. But don't get too wired into it mate, you don't want to be getting involved in RTCs.

Yeah I know, my missus gets onto me about it. When she is in the car I drive very defensively and carefully, It's when I am on my own that I tend to drive like that. I once had an audi driver try to undertake me on a filter lane, I just turned my head and smiled at him, I'v never seen someone brake so hard. If I was in the wrong then I would have backed off, but when it's someone elses stupidity or impatients then I will carry on as normal.

i had a chicken choker of a taxi driver try to undertake me in the wrong lane on a roundabout (him, not me) wanting the same exit as me so i just touched the accelerator and cut his nose off. he then tried to chase me for several miles, the only thing keeping me in his sight was the fact that i wasnt keen on driving at licence losing speeds. all i had to do was overtake something then slow down again which isnt really a problem in my car

I borrowed my mothers fiesta to get to work a few times in the last weeks. It's on a dual carriage ways and m ways I found this to be true.
Sorry to say van drivers and the usual Bmw and Audi idiots doing well over the odds. Wished I had my car :(
On a good note though, engine is out of the old girl and new engine coming Monday. :)
Happy days.

I used to have fun driving about in my old tatty Montego. For all the world you'd assume it was totally neglected and uninsured (it was neither, just filthy). This made it embarrassingly easy to bully anyone who cared an ounce about their car :) :) :)

Personally I don't have much respect for people who crowl around in 'eco' or otherwise tastless cars. What they're saying is: "I don't care about driving as much as I care about money".

So for me its the image that a car has not the size that determines the amount of respect it gets.

Personally I don't have much respect for people who crowl around in 'eco' or otherwise tastless cars. What they're saying is: "I don't care about driving as much as I care about money".

So for me its the image that a car has not the size that determines the amount of respect it gets.

Well eco cars over here are getting pretty fun to drive. Granted the Prius models are horrible, but there are eco cars here that are pretty fun.
Ford Fiesta (available here ONLY with the 1.6L Ti-VCT)
Ford Focus (40 MPG 2.0L only)
Chevrolet Cruze Eco (42 mpg 1.4L Turbo)
Chevrolet Sonic (Aveo to you europeans/ 40 mpg 1.4L Turbo)
Dodge Dart Rallye (40 mpg 1.4L turbo)
Hyundai Elantra (1.8L only here)

Meh. You want to try driving a Bora for having people barge in front of you. Because all Boras are driven at 29mph by 65 year olds. People do it all the time to me. I used to brake, now I don't bother cos frankly someone else writing me off would save me the hassle of selling.

herb;232002We are part of europe;-) And im not british I'm English;-)[/QUOTE said:
Yes but since the invation of the EU I don't like to think of myself as European. I'm half English, half Irish so British is fine for me.

I drove a Micra yesterday, it seemed like I was invisible, everyone just pushed through and tried to run me off the road!

I miss my Focus ST. At least I could drive that aggressively and people would move, anyone tried to bully me just bully them back and then gun it if they tried it on, byyyyeeeee. Nowadays I have the big 300C, people don't tend to let you out of junctions and think they have plenty of time to cross roundabouts slowly. They do not. Anyway I drive the wife's car to work this morning as mine's in at the dealers and the amount of people that will literally walk in front of you, have a look back at you and continue slowly across the road like the car's not going to hurt them because it's small, really? I've news for you ya fat get, it will hurt if i drive into you! Then the people that try to force you out on the road is appalling. Had a few nobs this morning until the looked in and actually saw me and decided it probably wasn't for the best. lol. People treat people in small cars like 2nd class citizens and it's quite appalling tbh. I've come to the conclusion that most people on the roads are total and utter gimboids anyway. So many people have no clue it pains me to watch most days, something needs to be done! Soon!

^^^ Quite right too! I try to treat the small car with the same respect as the bigger cars - until they do something silly in front of me that is ;)

In my home state, after having had my license for 3 years, I've noticed general observations about the drivers depending where I am in my home state. The closer I am to New York City, the more bad drivers there will be on the road, but the 'better' the bad drivers will be so it evens out. As you drive further west towards PA or further south away from NYC, the frequency of bad drivers on the road becomes less, but the 'worse' the bad drivers are.

Bullies​

The meanest bullies on the road I've seen are ones with Ford pickup trucks (F150s mainly, not so much Rangers or F-250+), some RAM pickup trucks (not all), BMW sedans, Mercedes, Volkswagen (includes VW, Audi & Lamborghini), mini cars, Honda & Acura sedans/coupes, Toyota & Lexus sedans/coupes & some Subaru sedans.

Buddies​

There are some known good driver vehicles in my home state as well. Some examples include the Chevrolet Tahoe (these buddies literally protect everyone on the road), Toyota 4Runner/Sequoia/Tacoma/Tundra, GMC, Ford & Chevrolet utility trucks, Nissan Frontiers, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 & most Mazda models.

All in all, this is just from my experience & my friends' experiences on the road.

It is funny how different areas and different times of the day will affect drivers attitudes.

I find many SUV/big jeep drivers, no offence but particularly women in them, seem to feel the car's a lot wider than reality, many times in a little hatchback move off the road into the grass or verge to give room to them as they drive straight down some villages/country roads/narrower roads than normal or normal roads with some parked car or two.

One thing that made me like my hatchback, maneuvering aroudn people who seem to think they're driving tanks :lol: