what car is a great one for a teenager that just got his g2 at 16 years old?

LeakProofPuma7

Car
98 Hyundai Tiburon
Im 16 and I just got my g2 so now i can either buy my own car and pay insurance on that or pay insurance on my moms grand prix to drive that occasionally orr save my money. I want option number two the most but im open for suggestions.
My question for number one is what car or cars are the best in terms of economy, style, insurance, preformance, ect.
Next question is how do i find out the where to get the best insurance for the lowest amount possible? Do i google map search insurance companies in blah town, and write the numbers all down and call? Do I have to provide them a car in the quote or can i ask for highest and lowest prices, orr can i just give them the name of a cars i'd like to buy and have them give me a quote?
I may be mature for my age but im not the best at grammar, and I don't have a clue on what to do with insurance. Thank you, and if this thread is in the wrong location feel free to move it, or if these questions have been asked please direct me to them. Also would a 2006 grand prix dual exhaust be compatible with 1999 grand prix dual exhaust?

Welcome to Torquecars! I'm assuming that the g2 is the probationary licence given in some Canadian states? You will have to forgive some of us if we seem a bit confused as quite a few of us are British :) We have a different system over here but I think that the same guidelines sort of apply to new drivers in general (Keep the car low engined, light, easy to maintain. And make sure that you check with, and get quotes from as many insurance companies as possible)

Thank you for the quick reply, and yes it is some what. As for the car i was possibly thinking this? http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...is-weekend-eagle-talon-awd-W0QQAdIdZ406095804 or something like this, and i do realize it is a two door lol. So as for calling as many insurance companies as possible... how would i find out every single one in and around my area? Thanks alot though Red =) and ahh yes canada ontario is alright but id much rather be in alberta =)

It looks a little sporty for a first car, you might want to take a look at hatchbacks (just my opinion though) and for the insurance companies, you can probably find them on a google search of your area or a phone directory if you have one.

When I open the link, with you being 16 on mind my eyes almost popped out! I think that's a lovely car but you should really take into account its age and mileage (almost 200k)... saying that when quoting the insurance I came to some interesting facts (may be different in canada but its worth a try)

Living away from home -£100
My Girlfriends Post code -£80
Co-Habiting -£90
Car Parked in driveway -£130 (Car parked inside garage +£70)

Check every option available to you before signing anything, it could make a big difference!

Thank you for the quick reply, and yes it is some what. As for the car i was possibly thinking this? http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...is-weekend-eagle-talon-awd-W0QQAdIdZ406095804 or something like this, and i do realize it is a two door lol. So as for calling as many insurance companies as possible... how would i find out every single one in and around my area? Thanks alot though Red =) and ahh yes canada ontario is alright but id much rather be in alberta =)
Stay AWAY from DSMs. They are fast, sporty and cool, but that's not why I'm saying this. Those things are plusses in my book. The reason to stay away from DSMs, is a phenomenon with them known as "crank walk". On those cars, as the engine runs, the crankshafts "walks" side to side and causes major damage. DSMs are the FARTHEST thing from reliable, which is what you want.
1272089860103.jpg

1273801024241.jpg

1284342917095.jpg

1273801034226.jpg

My suggestions:
Dodge Neon: Yes, it's probably safer to drive a tissue box, but These things are reliable and fast. With it's SOHC 2.0L engine, the Neon DOMINATED it's class in Showroom stock SCCA racing to the point that Nissan, Honda, and Toyota moved to have the car banned from competition. Just avoid models with the 3 speed automatic and you're golden.
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Dodge-Neon-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ413564264
Chevrolet Cavalier: Make DAMNED sure you go for either the 2.4L twin cam (1996-2002) or 2.2L Ecotec (2002-2005) models. Also check it's near identical sister-car, the Pontiac Sunfire. sporty, quick, reliable. I own a 2.2L Ecotec car and can vouch for their reliability and LARGE aftermarket support. Avoid the 2.2L OHV (called the 2.2L from 1990-1997, and 2200 from 1998-2002) engine like a plague (nothing wrong with it. It's reliable, but SO slow. No aftermarket support)
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Chevrolet-Cavalier-LS-Sport-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ416988451
Ford Focus: Everyone loves the Focus. large aftermarket support, great chassis dynamics. Just make sure to get a DOHC one (as in avoid the 2000-2004 2.0L split port CVH), preferably with a manual transmission, and you'll be good to go. Make sure you get a 2.0L Zetec (2000-2004) or 2.0L/2.3L Duratec (2004-present)
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-FORD-FOCUS-ZTS-W0QQAdIdZ417021843
Chevrolet Cobalt: If you can find one cheap enough with a manual transmission, go for it. sister cars include: Saturn Ion, Pontiac G5 (aka the Pontiac Pursuit in Canada), and Chevrolet HHR. Different chassis from the Cavalier, same basic engine. If you go after the Saturn Ion, avoid 2003-2004 model year cars unless you wanna buy a standalone ECM to tune the computer.

Last edited:
All these cars your pointing out for a 16 year old are beyond a joke! In our country, as you know, if your under 21, your dominated by insurence. I dont mean offence buddy, its just a 2.2l vehicle for a first is just crazy. I tried to get insured on my mates 1.8l cloverleaf Alfa Romao. £5000 was the cheapest qoute. I think thats about $3500.

All these cars your pointing out for a 16 year old are beyond a joke! In our country, as you know, if your under 21, your dominated by insurence. I dont mean offence buddy, its just a 2.2l vehicle for a first is just crazy. I tried to get insured on my mates 1.8l cloverleaf Alfa Romao. £5000 was the cheapest qoute. I think thats about $3500.

I've told you before. Insurance is WAY different over here in North America. My first car was a 3.4L.