where's the muscle?

charger69

Pro Tuner
Car
Opel Corsa B X14XE
well from all new american cars, nearly all is pony, where's the muscle?
only dodge has the charger as muscle and challenger as pony, where's ford torino, chevy chevelle, buick gsx?

Dying bread im afraid mate. There hasn't been a proper good muscle cars for years. Granted they look the part, but once you sit in them they feel cheep and plasticly. As though they were made out of a orange squash bottle type plastic.

what about the corvette?

Say what? I have seen thicker plastic used on the outside of a packet of cigaretts! lol

American cars are not made at all well, compaired to what they used to be like. I would love a massive 90's dodge truck. Or an old American muscle car. All the new ones are pure tat. Plastic rubish made on the cheep. Im sorry, but its what I think.

Thing is if you want a muscle car new ones are a waste of time by definition - all that emmission control stuff stops the car being what it was origanlly supposed to be.

They did that to the jenson interceptor as well . I have a 1969 series 1 . In that year some had the high compression dodge 6.3 V8 engine as it was the only engine available as dodge ran out of stock motors.
This was then swopped for the later 7.2 motor with emmission stuff all over it.
Even with an extra litre it was like a pussycat compared to the earlier 383 cu in cars.

You cant have a true muscle car with emmission stuff on

We know how to build cars. We are stifled by emissions controls and part prices. The fact is, the reason you get a 6.3L v8 with a sad 425bhp is because you can buy the car, get a better intake, exhaust, bigger injectors and a tune and make 550 at the wheels.

If that's not enough for you, you can add a supercharger or turbo system for next to nothing and make well over 1,000. If they delivered all the potential the cars are capable of, not only would the cars be very difficult to control, very difficult to make safe and emissions-worthy, but the companies would be forced to list a price over $100,000. Mostly from taxes. No one would buy them then.

The point is, you can buy these cars for $40k, invest maybe $10k into them, and embarass owners of $500,000 cars driving down the highway and on the drag strip(let's be honest, that's what they were made for anyways)

I must agree, though. These companies are really only making pony cars nowadays(mustang, camaro, challenger). and the corvette/viper/ford GT are really just mid-range supercars. Pontiac had the G8 for a while, and Cadillac has the CTS-V.. but that's as close as you get, really. I kind of hope they don't bring back the old names though, like chevelle, they'll probably just ruin it.

spot on MA

I dont see an american $40K muscle car embarrassing much if the word corner is involved

Now spend that on a 20 year old skyline and it is a different story

Everyone knows American muscle cars are made for the drag strip.

MA I happen to agree. I just hate that the most technological and innovative cars are all $100-150,000. Even a base BMW with some of the niceties and creature comforts costs too much (here) for me to justify purchasing.

That's why I'll buy a cheap car with a giant engine in it. It might be plasticky and uncomfortable, but I can at least have fun while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. Maybe when I'm 50, I can buy the $150,000 car and have some of the best technology of the time. Until then, I'll take a $1,200 mustang 5.0.

If by fun you mean only on the straights and then slowing down dramatically for the corners then you are spot on.

I think the compromise would be to let the Americans build a car, but then let the Japanese or Germans do the suspension for it.

Let's be honest as well guys. $1200 is around £600. If I had the space I'd buy an old school muscle car as well. It would certainly liven up motorway journeys.

The problem nowadays is that the general public (not us enthusiasts) don't want 5.7 V8. They want a tiddly little 1.0 or a diesel.

I think the compromise would be to let the Americans build a car, but then let the Japanese or Germans do the suspension for it.

Let's be honest as well guys. $1200 is around £600. If I had the space I'd buy an old school muscle car as well. It would certainly liven up motorway journeys.

The problem nowadays is that the general public (not us enthusiasts) don't want 5.7 V8. They want a tiddly little 1.0 or a diesel.

Here, everyone wants 130-275bhp. FWD, touchscreen, heated, and cooled pleather seats, 150 airbags, 14 speakers, weighs 4,000 lbs...and bluetooth capability. Oh, and it has to get 40mpg.

No one wants "an engine, 4 wheels, and a seat" anymore. That's why the muscle car is dead.

Oh, and about the £600 price: That's exactly what I'm talking about. I do have the space for it. They're a dime a dozen...why not get one?...easy to maintain...fun to merge onto the highway :p

I can go really fast.....from one gas station to the next :p

Last edited:
Oh, and about the £600 price: That's exactly what I'm talking about. I do have the space for it. They're a dime a dozen...why not get one?...easy to maintain...fun to merge onto the highway :p

I can go really fast.....from one gas station to the next :p

Fair play! Have you got a project thread up btw?

i just simply wanna say that also muscle cars with some tuning can get cornering well. it's all about what you tune them for, and plus you can get them cheaper than a exotic car riven by a fancy guy with a 'different lifestyle choice' with a pink t-shirt and gucci sunglasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just simply wanna say that also muscle cars with some tuning can get cornering well. it's all about what you tune them for, and plus you can get them cheaper than a exotic car riven by a fancy guy with a 'different lifestyle choice' with a pink t-shirt and gucci sunglasses.

Leaf springs vs coils mate. ;)

I have an American/Australian muscle car, sort of it's a Chevy Lumina SS 5.7 Litre V8 or Holden Commodore VY and if I was to review it, I would say total crap! The build quality is the problem and the electrics are shocking. Only American car I like at the moment is the new 6.1L Camaro but no doubt that is made of chocolate too! Gearbox is utter rubbish!

Leaf springs vs coils mate. ;)

I'm lost. No one here uses leaf springs anymore.....The corvette used them forever, but stopped with the..C5..I think? so..no leaf springs.

I have an American/Australian muscle car, sort of it's a Chevy Lumina SS 5.7 Litre V8 or Holden Commodore VY and if I was to review it, I would say total crap! The build quality is the problem and the electrics are shocking. Only American car I like at the moment is the new 6.1L Camaro but no doubt that is made of chocolate too! Gearbox is utter rubbish!

Everyone complains about everyone elses build quality.

American cars are heavy, plasticky and uncomfortable

German cars are ungodly expensive to maintain (here)

British cars too

Asian cars feel small, cheap, and usually underpowered

but they all have good qualities too

American cars are easy to mod and get BIG power.

German/british cars are very comfortable and balanced

Asian cars are nimble and very maneuverable.

You take the good with the bad.

Hell, if we would all stop fighting and make a car with an American drivetrain, European body/frame, and Asian suspension, It'd Probably be unstoppable.

Last edited:
I'm lost. No one here uses leaf springs anymore.....The corvette used them forever, but stopped with the..C5..I think? so..no leaf springs.

Everyone complains about everyone elses build quality.

American cars are heavy, plasticky and uncomfortable

German cars are ungodly expensive to maintain (here)

British cars too

Asian cars feel small, cheap, and usually underpowered

but they all have good qualities too

American cars are easy to mod and get BIG power.

German/british cars are very comfortable and balanced

Asian cars are nimble and very maneuverable.

You take the good with the bad.

Hell, if we would all stop fighting and make a car with an American drivetrain, European body/frame, and Asian suspension, It'd Probably be unstoppable.

you mean the opposite of the mustang from tokyo drift? lol

Give the American engine to the Japanese and let them extract all the power. Let the Japs do the electrics as well. Then give that to the Germans to build the rest.

The French and the Italians can watch! :lol: