Best car you've driven

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the best car you've driven to date and why? What is it that makes it so special?

I should probably limit this to on the road to rule out track day sessions in super cars and the like, but feel free to mention them in despatches, just don't pick them as your favourite for this thead!

I drove a twin turbo S6 and it was amazing how fast, nimble and good it was at handling. It felt like a much smaller lighter car.

An RX8 was an interesting drive, not the best but the sheer high revs you get and top end power band proved fun.

Driven an Aston Martin DB9 and a Vantage coupe in the last few months on the road. I have to give the DB9 the edge though. Only slight rumble detected on the inside, you need to have the windows open to get the full thrill of that wonderful exhaust note.

Once managed to have an trial drive on B road in Honda S2000. About half an hour of joy. Road was twistie so managed to rev her up to limitator just twice (IIRC about 8500 or 9000 rev/min), but I can tell twiesty B road suits her like an glow to the hand!

Not driven anything exotic so I can only go by what I can remember to date. That will be the HSX Chevette (Group 4 homologation) I used to own, had works stuff on it and sat on turreted Bilsteins, handled superbly and ran rings around quite a few cars around that time. The best part was the looks, sounds and performance that confused many as they only thought they made them as a 1256cc version.

Honestly and without bias, my Focus RS in its current spec is the best and most fun car I've driven on the road, and I've driven a few good 'uns.

Hard to answer this really. Best as in best or best as in the one that appealed to me most?

Favourite car I've driven is a 2003 Jaguar XJR.

I also took a liking to a Porsche 928S4 but the Jag trounces it for comfort.

that is hard
kitt for looks
my old 2001 trans am for silly amount of speed with out a turbo
and my old lexus for just a smooth ride

It's good that we all have different priorities. I like comfort and silence but I also like strong performance. I'd also like to achieve 150 miles per gallon. Therefore I am unreasonable. :)

Has to be The Lamborghini Gallardo when i did one of those Track Day Experiences! Never Ever Forget the Torques in that Beast!!

:( Sorry guy's. Mine.

Not going to lie to you. I have driven a few Evo's, and a WRX STI and nothing compairs to my Baby.

Grip, top end speed, acceleration. She's the whole package. :love:

400hp Evo 8 MR was unbelievable to drive but it was just to tame compared to my FRS believe it or not. Very very very fast but almost too stable and too competent if that makes sense? Really have to push it for big thrills and most of the time that's just not possible on the roads.

Haven't driven the biggest and baddest of all cars but I guess the highest HP I've driven hard was a corvette z06. It is a pretty heavy hitter, stable around corners, and just feels powerful in every way, but the car I've had the most fun with?

My 2006 cobalt SS. It's modded and faster than stock. Solid suspension. Nice all around.With the supercharger and the instant power you get from that, it moves the heck out. I'd love to give the vote to my balt.

I quite like my ageing 528i but it's not the best car I've driven by a long shot. Though it is still good to drive and belies it's age with absolute equanimity.

It was an emergency purchase in 2010, not a desired purchase (budget at that time was £5000 max). It's fully maintained and serviced to the teeth by me

As such it is a very pleasant way to get around the country.
It's very refined and very quiet, very reliable and strangely quite economical to run both in terms of fuel consumption and servicing costs.

But is it the best car I've driven. No.

It makes a compelling case for itself though as a comfortable way to travel and the performance is more than acceptable.

I'm in no rush to part with it. But there are other cars out there which are more invigorating.

Last edited:
Obviously it would be the stagea but I reckon naming your current car is a bit "money supermarket"

I would have to have a few catorgaries as once you are an old git (sorry OG ) and have driven a few cars no one car could be the best overall

So

Scariest (thats quicker than fastest) The top secret 33 GTR about 800 bhp on low boost

Most fun 1961 TVR Grantura - a go cart with a twin cam MGA engine

Biggests headturner 1959 ford edsel convertable at just over 5.5 metres one of the biggest two door convertables ever. It had push button gearchange !

most Classy withoout doubt my old Alvis TD21

Weirdest Citroen Safari Pallas

But if I had to pick one Porsche 968 Club Sport

current skoda laura TSi. drives like a dream. and it is built like a tank. on indian roads its perfect.