Whats the point of modding a car and spending £10k on it!

billyo

Track Warrior
Sometimes I wonder if its worth it. Why do we do it? If we saved the £10 we spent we could just go out and buy a bigger or better model of car without all the hassle. :cry:

If you are worried about losing money when modding a car, I think you've missed the point of it.

It's fun and gives you great satisfaction, as well as some thrills if you are into engine modding. You could always buy a ready modded car for half the price of doing it yourself, but eh! Wheres the fun in that?!

I think freddies hit the nail on the head. We could all go out and buy a faster car but there is so much satisfaction in modding you car so you end up with something unique and that is set up exactly for you. A car becomes an extension of the drivers personality. Some like to draw attention others like to be annoymously quick!! We all like cars though and agree that standard = boring and run of the mill!

ok think, look at MR. m3. he bought his car for 30k brand new, its got leather seats, and adverage stereo and ok performance etc

then take the modifier, he drives a pug 205 1.9 gti, he bought it for 1500 quid, he then spends 10k on mods eg t16 turbo engine, some new speaker components, head unit, brakes etc and has a PERFORMANCE BARGAIN. that is why you, not me, im 16 :cry: , buy a car and then spend 10k modifying it.

T16 engine conversion? Isn't the T16 a mid engined 205?!

I love that mentality.. some new speaker components, head unit, brakes.. OH, and throw in an engine which belongs in a rally car while your at it! Brilliant!

But you are right.. As long as you get something which you enjoy out of it.. Then it's a hobby.. And who cares how much money you lose if you have fun! Especially when you cruise up next to the afore mentioned M3 owner and beat him off of the lights, turning his face to a nice shade of pink!

The whole point of car modding and customising is just that so that you customise the car to your needs and likes. You get great satisfaction from this and also you learn as you take on a project. I can't wait to get my nw motor and start on but I don't think that I will spend £10k on it. LOL

It's each to their own. Poeple ask me, why do you keep doing stuff to your car. I say to them why do they go fishing? Eat cauliflower? Watch Trisha? Makes no sense to me, but they like it. I like the planning, taking a base car and thinking how can i make this really special? I love looking for bodykits and wheels online, and then excitedly ripping open the boxes as soon as they're delivered and getting straight to work fitting them, even though I know I'm supposed to be going somewhere in 5 minutes (like the supermarket, the in-laws' or work) and then razzing it around town when i've finished and people are turning their heads to look because there's nothing else like it on the road. It's the best feeling in the world.

Well... second best... :wink:

we are all just mad /you can have your car the colour you want.the power you want.the shape you want and the toys you want.
the car becomes part of you.and its fun this is wat I have done bloody mad
064.jpg

great picture , i love the boots ( yes the spelling is correct )

i prefer not to dwell on the costs involved in my passion , my wonderfull wife never has a problem with the cost involved , its cheeper than a mistress , keeps you out of the pub , and your home every night . i beleive she gets as much pleasure as i do . THERE
IS NOTHING BETTER THAN BLOWING THE DOORS OF SOMETHING / SOMEONE IN THEIR ALL SHOW NO GO AUTOMOBILE

Does anyone make a point of never adding up the amount they've spent on thier cars because it would frighten them or their significant other!

Does anyone make a point of never adding up the amount they've spent on thier cars because it would frighten them or their significant other!

I usually start a project by weighing up the costs and then keeping a total, in the end I just forget about it!

I generally wait until I have at least 5-10x the amount I want to spend just sitting in the bank. Like now, for my $80 pulley. Even though I know it won't hurt me at all to order it now, I'm probably going to wait til the end of the week to order it.

Why tune/mod/throw away money?
The car becomes a part of you. You can't mail-order new lungs to become a runner, or new legs to zig-zag across a soccer field. But you can order an intake so your car can run faster, and new tires so it can zig-zag across a race track.

Plus as your car gets better, you get better. Our reflexes and reaction times are much more finely tuned than your average driver texting and driving. This is from going to race tracks and tooling around on twisty back roads at 3am after you just got done putting on your new springs and want to know how just much better they are.

Plus the sense of completeion and a job well done when you put your motor back together, crank it, and it actually starts! With no leaks, no misfires, no explosions. what a great feeling, no? Or you get done replacing/upgrading your brakes and go for a drive and live to tell the tale? How nice is that.

I love the car culture. I love cars, and I'll probably never stop modding. I don't care if we have to switch to hydrogen, CNG, corn fuel, or childrens tears. I'll find a way to make it faster, better, and more personalized for me.

But that's my story.

I modify my cars for the reasons given above, i like to make my car MY car. not just another off the production line, but a little bit of me in it ( not that bit, i love my cars, but not that much! lol )

Im a subtle modifier, i like the small touches that you dont necessarily see at first,but makes all the difference when you know its there!
Then i start on the chassis/engine/wheels/brakes etc.
For me its about making something better, not shouting "hey look at me!"

But the car modification world is a vast place, and without different approaches and outlooks, we'd all be the same, boring clones!

absolutely ..........but not because It frightens me but because there is no point .
The only time I need to know how much something costs is before I have done it.

As for the significant other she knows better than to even ask

And why do I modify cars

So you buy a brand new car drive into the car park and as you get out two more exactly the same come in and park next to you .

That's why I love older cars. No matter where I've been, no car looks like my mustang. The cobalt's kind of the same, but it's easy to find modded cobalts.

absolutely ..........but not because It frightens me but because there is no point .
The only time I need to know how much something costs is before I have done it.

As for the significant other she knows better than to even ask

And why do I modify cars

So you buy a brand new car drive into the car park and as you get out two more exactly the same come in and park next to you .

Well said, and x2