Audi 4.2

rmackinnon

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi A6 4.2 (1999)
Hi All

Just joined, looking forward to chatting to you all. Have an Audi A6 Avant 4.2. Love it, looking to work a few mods to squeeze a few more bhp from the old beast.

Rob

Well actually, you can never go quick enough right - it gets more addictive with the more power you get :toung:

well, that quote is me... often my wife says my wallet never sees daylight (until she wants shoes that is!) :confused:

I am trying to un-ruffle the sharp edges of the power band and make it sound like a proper v8. Figured a remap would be better done after a new exhaust.

Thanks for the welcome. Always an Audi fanatic

tcsmileysign.gif

Well actually, you can never go quick enough right - it gets more addictive with the more power you get :toung:

well, that quote is me... often my wife says my wallet never sees daylight (until she wants shoes that is!) :confused:

I am trying to un-ruffle the sharp edges of the power band and make it sound like a proper v8. Figured a remap would be better done after a new exhaust.

Thanks for the welcome. Always an Audi fanatic

It is a proper V8. I'd be happy to hand you my straight-six 5 series in exchange. :) You might see this differently, however.

I think what you're alluding to is the sound of the flat plane crank V8 which makes so many American muscles cars sound so fruity. These have an uneven firing sequence which creates the delicious offbeat warble and snarl at higher revs. Especially when the exhaust systems are totally independent for each cylinder bank and exit opposite sides of the car. You get the full effect in stereo. The reason for the adoption of the flat plane crank is one of mass, weight, and inertia reduction

Your V8 almost certainly uses a cross plane crank (most V8s do, even proper ones, like yours) which means that it operates like a pair of 2.1 litre fours bolted together side by side. There will still be a single balancer shaft to remove second order harmonic vibration.

Your V8 almost certainly uses a cross plane crank (most V8s do, even proper ones, like yours) which means that it operates like a pair of 2.1 litre fours bolted together side by side. There will still be a single balancer shaft to remove second order harmonic vibration.

If this is the same 4.2 V8 is in my RS4, its defiantly setup as 2x 2.1L fours. This is reflected in the software. When I mapped mine, it had two maps on two separate ECUs and its setup in the software exactly as you describe HDi (2x 2.1L fours).

Hi all

Went down to powerflow dealer this morning. The man who knows this type of car is back in later in the week, so booked in for Thurs for a cat-back system. I'd rather wait for someone who knows this v8 for best mix and match options.

Next week, looking at a remap :)

Hi, good to see another 4.2 buff, I am having a S8 4.2 32 valve engine fitted to my MR2 MRK2 and it will have a Ferrari or Mercerlargo kit fitted when complete. At the moment Im looking to have it turbo or supercharged, do you know much about this kind of thing?

Thanks for the warm welcome, It is Woodsport that is doing my conversion as Paul has been a great car builder for sometime now. When he starts it you will be able to look at the build though TWOBRUTAL forum.:blink1:

Have also seen PES tuning website. Is your engine the same as mine 4.2 32valve? if yes what kind of upgrades have you done and what power is it making at the moment ?

not done as much as i would have liked.

I have had a chip done and powerflow exhaust. Both have brought it up to about 325bhp, but i haven't done a rolling road - not that you can do it easily with quattro and auto boxes (due to the auto torque'ing between gears) anyway.

done about 90k miles, and still achieved top line speed in 4th when tested on autobahn recently. cracking engine

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back