Clutches

Syder

Wrench Pro
Car
civicaerodeck1.8VTI
My clutch biting point is just off the floor , the clutch adjusted it's self a few weeks ago i and have been told that it is on it's last legs is this right .

If so whats the better of the uprated clutches to buy , i was looking at the competition clutch (stage 2) £315 / Excedy racing clutch kit (stage 1) £235 .

Is it a case of uprating the flywheel if uprating the clutch or does it depend on the clutch you buy ? .

By the way the engine is a B18C4 1.8 VTI V-TEC DOHC (1999)

I take it no one has upgraded their clutch then and just kept with the standard . :confused:

How the hell am I supposed to know? You put no details about the mods in your post. You could have a snail strapped to your engine and 500lb/ft for all we know. We must know details about every car via psychic mind link or all want to waste our lives scrawling through peoples profiles eh?

Go on then, carry on wondering why you're getting no replies then.

If you can give us the engine spec I am sure you will get some suggestions.

Upping power by 10-20% - A new standard clutch will cope. Once you go higher than this you should be considering a stronger clutch. The type and strength required will depend on engine spec and expected use/abuse.

Don't over do it. Racing clutches are basically a switch - on/off, so are horrible on the road and don't like to be slipped.

Assuming flywheel isn't damaged, then there is no need to change it unless you are changing clutch diameter or fitting a clutch that needs the friction surface to to be raised slightly (multiplate 7.25" clutches for example).

Talk to AP, Alcon, Exedy etc. Tel them what you have and the expected use and they will recommend a clutch to suit.

Last edited:
SORRY MasterAuron miss took what you meant , next time i will list the mods I've done when i ask a question ,

Cheer's old-git .

MC2 / B18C4 / 1.8 VTI V-TEC DOHC

The mods so far are a cold air feed K&N Induction kit , torque technique exhaust system 4-2-1 ,

This week i will be putting in a bonnet vent and exhaust wrap ,

The current bhp is believed to be around 200 bhp ( standard 167bhp )

I'm currently saving to buy a Buddy club spec III cam shaft , Buddy club racing vernier cam pulleys ,;)

Last edited:
Your standard clutch, assuming it is not already worn out, should cope with this moderate power increase. However, if driven hard it will wear out fairly quickly. If it is coping at the moment, leave it alone until it needs replacing then think about a moderatly uprated unit. Going over the top with the clutch will just make the car less fun to drive.

SORRY MasterAuron miss took what you meant , next time i will list the mods I've done when i ask a question ,

Cheer's old-git .

MC2 / B18C4 / 1.8 VTI V-TEC DOHC

The mods so far are a cold air feed K&N Induction kit , torque technique exhaust system 4-2-1 ,

This week i will be putting in a bonnet vent and exhaust wrap ,

The current bhp is believed to be around 200 bhp ( standard 167bhp )

I'm currently saving to buy a Buddy club spec III cam shaft , Buddy club racing vernier cam pulleys ,;)[/QUOTE)
Just a little question.With them few mods you are claiming 200bhpfrom the standard 167.cold air feed exhaust.I have the the same engine and with them mods their is no way you can be reaching 200bhp.The problem with this engine the b18c4 is that to get them figure you will be having to change the internals spring retainers to go with the uprated cams and ajustable cam gears.bigger throttle bodie etc and might only be touching near that.

To do with the clutch it should be fine.mine bites from the bottom.I always thought that when the biting point was near the top it was on its way out.

To do with the clutch it should be fine.mine bites from the bottom.I always thought that when the biting point was near the top it was on its way out.

That's what a mate of mine said but he looked at the car manual and said that this clutch works a different way , as in one of the plates are different to a usual one , so instead of the bite going to the top it goes the bottom .

Mine was in the lower middle and now down the bottom , did make sure the clutch pedal was ok and also bleed the clutch , the clutch slave cylinder seems ok as well .

Just out of interest when i was looking at clutches online and there was one saying that this clutch would produce up-to 80% more torque , that possible then just from a clutch , my mate couldn't work it out he's a mechanic :blink:

Just out of interest when i was looking at clutches online and there was one saying that this clutch would produce up-to 80% more torque , that possible then just from a clutch , my mate couldn't work it out he's a mechanic :blink:

Probably should have said will cope with up to 80% more torque :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back