torque

keong

Car
satrio neo
can someone explain to me.. what is torque ? very blur when listen my friend explain to me.. hmmmmm

to put simply:- Torque is the amount of "turning power" you have, much in the same way you turn a wrench. 369 foot-pounds means that if you had a wrench that was 1 foot long, and applied a force of 369 pounds directly perpendicular to that wrench, you would get 369 foot-pounds of torque.

I could explain but the termanology is a bit harder to explain so i'll let Wiki do the explaining lol...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

More good info:-

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2009/04/what_does_torque_in_a_car_do.php

Last edited:
why RPM will get delay ? meaning like when i step on the acceleration pedal.. rpm should keep going up.. but.. when goes up.. will goes back a bit

something like the RPM will auto move back a bit although i step on d accelerator

Traditional automatics do have one of them. But gearboxes are torque converters as well.

Torque is a measure of twisting force, put simply.

you picked a hard one , but here goes

horse power & torque go hand in hand , when calculating horse power torque is part of the formula , as does RPM

the ideal when looking at a graph / power curve from a dyno ( rolling road is what i think you call it ) is to make high torque at low rpm

when driving down the road with six passengers , a picknic basket , a nine meter caravan and one flat tyre and comming to a steep incline ( hill / mountain ) a car with a lot of torque will be able to climb the incline without changing down a gear ( it may get hot ) in comparison a car producing its torque / horse power at high revs will have to chance down to maintain the rpm ( torque ) sorry its not cristal clear . try googling hosrepower / torque graphs and see the results .

back again have a look in my album CARS photo number five 381 hp 1106 fb191kph
the graph is missing but thats what torque is

Torque and RPM are related but absolutely not rigidly. It depends upon the individual engine's characteristics. Whether that's an internal combustion engine or an electric motor is immaterial.

Torque is twisting force. It's a useful concept cause force that causes something to twist by a certain amount (angle) does different amounts of work (energy) depending on how far it is from the centre of rotation.

So for the same amount of torque the bigger the distance form the centre of rotation the lower the force which is why a higher gear (bigger gear) will not do much for your acceleration.

Last edited:
nonono... rpm reduce when accelerating dint related to torque.. is 2 different story, now what i want to know is.. y when we accelerate.. when rpm going up it will reduce back a little bit?

nonono... rpm reduce when accelerating dint related to torque.. is 2 different story, now what i want to know is.. y when we accelerate.. when rpm going up it will reduce back a little bit?

Sorry - I am having trouble understanding the question.

Are you referring to automatic transmissions with torque converter lock-up?

nope... now iam asking about.. y when we accelerate.. normally RPM is going up, but why it will reduce back a little bit? (manual car)

I think he's asking why when you step on the gas pedal the rev's rise and then fall after a bit (I'm not sure this actually happens).

With the clutch up and not slipping ( as HDi says) and no slipping at the wheels then the revs relate to road speed directly so I don't see how they could fall without the car slowing.

Just had an idea lets try it out!
I found a 2009 Yaris's specs on this site http://www.autoguide.com/new-cars/2009/toyota/yaris/s/specs.html

So lets say we are in third gear at 2000 rpm and lets see how fast we'd be going.
Third gear has a ratio of 1.31 and the final drive ratio is 3.72 so in third overall ratio is 4.87.

So 2000 rpm is 410 wheel rpm or 6.84 wheel revs per second.
Lets assume it has 21inch wheels giving it 1.68m wheel circumfrence.
6.84/s * 1.68m gives 11.5m/s which is 25mph. Which sounds about right for me :) ( but I may have missed something)

Last edited:
nope... now iam asking about.. y when we accelerate.. normally RPM is going up, but why it will reduce back a little bit? (manual car)
Do you mean why do the revs adjust back OR why the torque level drops? As the torque will peak before the max engine revs usually)

Look at it like this,

hp is a measure of "work done" by the engine,
that why high revving engines have lots of horsepower but because they can't burn the fuel as efficiently as a turbo/supercharged engine because they are squeezing more air into the engine there for every powerstroke there is more air/fuel being burnt producing more torque, and because power is directly linked to torque you produce the power, so there's for's and against for both really, I could say about diesels and petrols as well, but I think I'm going to put it in another post :)

also when you get near peak hp the torque drops off a bit in most cars thats why the revs slow down