206 1.1 to gti engine.

luwegi

Car
Peugeot 206 53 Reg
Hiya guys. My names lewis and i'm new to the site. Am thinking of dropping a gti 180 engine into my car instead of the standard 1.1. I know I'd have to change the brakes, suspension. But how much would it cost do you reckon? If I got the engine for about 800 quid?

Many thanks
luwegi

are you doing the work youself or a garage ? are you going to use the gti brakes and suspension or uprated ? - if uprated cheap components or decent ones

youll also need the ECU and gearbox at a minimum

Engine - £800
Recon box - £200
Ecu stuff - £150
GTi rear beam maybe? - £150
GTi standard suspension - £100
GTi brakes - £100
Insurance cost - Priceless.

Just buy a proper 180 GTi then you'll have the nicer interior to boot too. Pointless conversion tbh.

Don't dismiss a diesel variant. The 110bhp 1.6 HDi will tune to nearly 150bhp with a simple remap via the diagnostic port. Cost circa £300 inc VAT.

The 2.0 HDi is only available in 90bhp tune as standard in this car. It does not have an intercooler and will not tune anywhere near as well as the 1.6 diesel.

I agree that 150bhp is well short of the petrol 180bhp GTi but the torque figure is going to make up for this. A small car with 250lbft will go like a bloody missile without need for constant cog swapping or constant high revs.

You're also likely to register some very good fuel consumption figures (40mpg plus) , even if you choose to drive it quickly.

Last edited:
see MAs post up top for rough prices on parts then phone around garages asking how much they will charge to change it. remember that decent garages will still charge around £25 an hour for labour say 2 days to do the work 8 hours a day around £500 would be a good estimate including vat

so adding up the parts as well and your talking just over £2k, id also have extra money sitting aside incase of issues and preventative measures
cambelt
aux belt
bearings
etc

add on the excess on the insurance for all the modified bits and you could probably pick up a proper 180 for less

I'd probs get a garage to do it.. How much would that cost? Cheers for the advice guys. :)

If you're paying for the labour as well chief it's just not worth doing it at all in my honest opinion. Unless you're doing it to dodge insurance costs but believe me (and I'm the LAST person to preach about stuff like this) the 5-0 are a lot lot wiser to stuff like engine conversions these days and some of them DO know they're stuff. Although most are still dumb, interfering scum.

or8 mate i'm after doing the same thing with my 1.1 206. i'd say u'd be better off buyin a gti180 thats been in a backend smash then u'll have all the parts u need but alot cheaper. i'm after usin mine for track days so insurance isnt a factor in my situation. hope that helps u pal