Saab 93 Engine Performance Upgrade Hirsch Deal!!

Neilman

Car
Saab 93 1.9Tid 150
Hi All,
in my quest for more BHP and MPG I have been considering an engine performance upgrade for my 150 bhp TiD Sportwagon. I have considered a Hirsch and also Maptun as I have heard and read lot of great reviews for the Maptun. I was put off by the cost of both I am a Scotsman after all. I do not intend to do any other engine upgrades at this stage other than ECU software. Now I see this from Hirsch now £399 for my car or £599 for a newer model Saab:

http://www.hirsch-performance.ch/Content.aspx?path=/Products/Leistung

which is considerably more affordable than it was.

My 2 questions are:
1) Is the upgrade worth it in terms of MPG and bhp increase?
2) Is the Maptun so much better that it warrants the extra cost?

Please let me know your experiences if you have had either the Maptun or Hirsch engine upgrade.

Cheers and take care

Neil

My 2 questions are:
1) Is the upgrade worth it in terms of MPG and bhp increase?
2) Is the Maptun so much better that it warrants the extra cost?

Please let me know your experiences if you have had either the Maptun or Hirsch engine upgrade.

Cheers and take care

Neil

Stick with the MapTun, Hirsch is very conservative on the power hike and their only previous advantage was the fact that the tune from them would not invalidate any Saab warranty. You get more bang for your buck with MapTun. You have the choice of an off the shelf version from MapTun OR if you want to release the moths from your wallet you can have a custom map made specifically for your car (Ouch!!!). This would involve you going to a MapTun dealer though and spending the whole day there.

My own experiences of MapTun (and I have had both manufacturers maps on my car) would be of little use to you as I run huge power and I am petrol.
Needless to say I spend my money wisely and that money is in the hands of MapTun.

Just out of interest, do you have any strong opinions on the offerings from Abbot Racing on the ECU tweaking front?!

Yes I do and the answer is NO! I know Abbott Racing very well and they are a great bunch of guys with good products and amazing fabricating skills. Neil is a legend when it comes to making things and Giles is the nicest chap you could ever wish to meet. BUT! I have not heard one good thing about their ECU maps I'm afraid, so be warned. Everything else on the other hand is ruddy marvellous.

Right - I'm glad I mentioned it! I think I will go ahead and get their downpipe and cat offering, but perhaps seek out a remap through Maptun.
I presume therefore that their hybrid GT17 turbo will be of the finest quality and therefore worth considering when mine eventually reaches the end of its life?! Otherwise I had heard positive vibrations regarding the TD04 model......I was looking for something that might be a suitable 'gentle' upgrade that perhaps wouldn't automatically require a larger intercooler/fuel injector uprate. Any strong opinions you hold would be of great interest as I'm sort of feeling my way through the process of tweaking the car and I am trying to do it as intelligently as possible!

Many thanks for the heads up and my apologies to Neilman for hijacking your thread, poor form.

I have just learnt that I already have the TD04 model turbo, so please disregard my ill researched comments.....ahem! As I said - feeling my way through this process!!
Having looked at the Neo Brother's website and done some research on Maptun I think that they are probably the best people for the job.
I particularly like the way they provide the ECU upgrade with a device that I can use to 'downgrade' the car back to factory settings if I so require. This will naturally be used to provide a 'safe' mode should (a nightmare scenario) my other half be requiring the car for a miscellaneous shopping run! Superb!

Last edited: