Differentials-Limited Slip vs Torsen

MustangMan

Torque Junkie
Car
2006 Mustang GT
So everyone knows what a limited-slip diff is, but I'm curious: How does a limited-slip diff compare to a Torsen differential? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I would love some feedback on this.

Last edited:
Torsen literally means Torque Sensing and it is quite subtle in operation coming on fairly slowly and progressively.

For a drift car you need a sudden snap so a locked diff is fine. For motorsports you also want fairly quick transitions in drive to the wheels so an LSD is a good idea. For a car used on the road in varying conditions the Torsen diff is the best option IMO.

There are some LSD's that are fairly subtle in their behaviour as there are Torsen diffs out there that are a little more snappy so a lot depends on the diff maker and the car setup/drivetrain.

Torsen diffs can be found in quite a few production cars, LSD types are generally found in higher spec'd or cars offering high bhp levels. Torsen diffs are generally categorised in three classes, A, B & C. Each having varying degrees of application and characteristics, some not ideal for everyday use. I have a type B Torsen sat in my garage waiting to go in. I used to run a Quaife LSD in my 1340 Mini, also ran locked diffs in my old oval racers, was a darned sight cheaper!

Forgot to mention you can also get an ATB diff from Quaife.

Torsen literally means Torque Sensing and it is quite subtle in operation coming on fairly slowly and progressively.

For a drift car you need a sudden snap so a locked diff is fine. For motorsports you also want fairly quick transitions in drive to the wheels so an LSD is a good idea. For a car used on the road in varying conditions the Torsen diff is the best option IMO.

There are some LSD's that are fairly subtle in their behaviour as there are Torsen diffs out there that are a little more snappy so a lot depends on the diff maker and the car setup/drivetrain.

For a road car a standard diff is fine. Electronic management of available grip is adequate and cheaper to produce than torsen diffs.

THe new Focus RS has an ATB diff. Biggest difference between Quaffie's diff and most other variant's have plates and clutches...

Ok so what are the advantages of the Torsen over standard LSD and any disadvantages?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back