A6 4.2 quattro needs lowering,

Rabbit

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi A6 4.2 Quattro
Hi

2000, A6, 4.2 quattro, and I would like some advice re lowering the big fella down a bit, say 30 mil, has rs arches and 235/35/19s on.

thanks guys

Wow bet that looks nice! Please Please upload some pics when you get to 10 posts (only 1 left now!).

I think the Koni adjustable shocks are your best bet. Don't you have trouble with rubbing at the moment though - 19's are pretty big?

Hi

No rubbing the rs arches see to that, i'll have a look at koni, been looking at bilstein B12's ( £500 ish ) and their B14 coilover system ( £850 ish ).
There aint much out there for a 4.2 quattro.
I will look at koni 2moro

thanks

Hi
Yeah they look like the only option, either 12/14/ or16s.
The 14s look the job, but i will contact bilstein direct to confirm the fitment is o/k.
Filled the boot and back seats with 15kg bags of dog food to lower the bodywork, and it does look good.
I will send some pics pre and post fitting.

HI rabbit,

Bilstein are the best of the best, the Bugatti Veyron run them, Just to let you know that i am a dealer for Bilstein in the UK and will offer a 10% discount to any torque car member,

If you go for the B14's we will set them up for you if you wish and we can fit them for you to.

Hope this is of intrest

Hi
Thanks 4 that m8, but i've put my name on some, if the deal falls through I will contact you, drop me a private with costs etc.

R

thats fine rabbit who are you buying them from?? Also if you send me pm with your reg and make of bilstein you want i will get a price

Hey Rabbit, whats up?

I was wondering how did you get RS arches on your A6?
Is that how it came when you bought it? was it an option?

Hi
Yeah they were on when i bought it, audi told me they were RS but they look the same as S line, don't know if S and RS are the same ?
Dropped the arch to ground height to 62cm's with the B14's, looks and drives much better.

R

Attachments

• toy 2 004.jpg
    toy 2 004.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 15
Is that a "Ring" edition or did you add the stickers yourself?

Wheels look fantastic. The earlier S line wheels had spoked with a squared off recess at the tip. I like the Audi logo on them. Thanks for posting up the pic.

Thanks for that waynne.

picked the ring, alloy rings, and caliper " audi " stickers off e.bay, cheap as chips.
Got a good one one my number plate, old bill doesn't like it though :)

R

Attachments

• toy 2.jpg
    toy 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks,

Sweet ride Rabbit!

I want to get Wheel Spacers as well as a lowering kit, where do you think the best place to order those is from?

Hey Rabbit

Good post - I got the Avant version of yours.
Interesting that you have 235's on? Mine has 255's but on 17's, not 19's.

Does anyone know where i can get 255 19's without having to spend £700.

I am also curious as to what Exhaust system you have going on there.. i am looking to make mine a little sweeter.

Hi
the exhaust is costom built, the cats are off and pipes go straight through from manifolds to a 2 in 2 out box mid car and then onto a single box at each side at the rear.
wheels are now 8.5 x 19 vw r's with 255/35/19s.
ebc red stuff brake pads and grooved discs with reconditioned calipers.
shocks are bilstein b14 adjustable coilovers which lower the body by arround 30/35mm

i will try and sort some pics out 4 you.

anything else just ask
R

Thanks for coming back.
If i may ask how big were the boxes and how does it sound when you cruise on a motorway?

I am thinking about a custom system too!

Reason i ask is i do tons of motorway driving in the week. Weekend - i want the sound its so desperately lacking.

Hi

motorway if fine, its when i am down the gears at around 3/4000 revs that the sound is fantastic, and i mean fantastic, in 2nd at about 4000 is just magic, i live in the sticks so i tend to stay in triptronic to keep the revs up as there are loads of bends, flicking down to 1st at just under 40mph giving it the beans the roar up to 6500 revs is mind blowing,
The boxes just replace the standard units, but you will have to have something in place if you take the cats off for your mot, a friendly garage or a detatchable section so you can refit the cats, if they are the oridginal cats they might be burnt out anyway,
prices vary, i got quoted as high as 1600, but got it done for 650ish,

the firm is in carlisle spot on job

r

Hi

The system is " powerflow" they have dealers throughout the uk, basically its their boxes and tail pipes and the dealer bends the stainless pipe to suit your particular car.
find your nearest and call in for a quote, mine was i think around 650.
the guy at carlisle is very good, i made exhausts 30 years ago in cambridgeshire for american cars using a " huthe" bending machine following the info off a printed card, but this guy does it by eye and is much better.
i wiil try and put a pic up, but my pc is acting funny 2day

r

Hi yes, i know these guys.

I used them a long way back without complaint on a "dare i say" Mondeo! I have a local dealer - wasn't sure if they were any good for this type of car.

If you are happy, that is a good sign!

thanks for that

just put a couple of pics up on the gallery.
Lowering onto 19's with big boots is your next job m8 after the exhaust,

if i can help with any info dont hesitate to ask

R

Hi

its down to the fitters skills m8

good luck

picture attached i hope

r

i couldnt agree more!! rmackinnon if your going for a powerflow try and find 1 people have used and recommend!! cause there are some horror stories about powerflow fitters. which sadly gives the whole brand a bad name and makes people think all poweflow suppliers are bad

really nice looking motor you have there rabbit!!!

Thanks 4 that Herb

I would personally recommed this firm in Carlisle, but make sure you get the guy that did mine, he is a perfectionist.
I got my alloys and rubber from them, EBC pads and disc's also, and they were the best on price.
proper outfit to deal with, mac if you need a intro i will be happy to help,

better to travel a few miles to a good firm then to take a hard hit on your door-step

R

Thanks 4 that Herb

I would personally recommed this firm in Carlisle, but make sure you get the guy that did mine, he is a perfectionist.
I got my alloys and rubber from them, EBC pads and disc's also, and they were the best on price.
proper outfit to deal with, mac if you need a intro i will be happy to help,

better to travel a few miles to a good firm then to take a hard hit on your door-step

R

no worries mate i will always compliment someone on there car if its to my taste:amuse:

on another note what ebc pads did you go for??
myself im using ebc discs and redstuff pads

Yeah same here, they took a couple of weeks to settle in tho, squealing was so so loud, but all is cool now.

R

i was curious cause alot of people dont rate ebc:confused: but i have had mine nearly 3 years and never had a problem with them!!
i've had a few discussions withe another member on here (hdi) about redstuff pads and we come to the conclusion that they work better with heavier cars! so i presume this is the case with your a6

i was curious cause alot of people dont rate ebc:confused: but i have had mine nearly 3 years and never had a problem with them!!
i've had a few discussions withe another member on here (hdi) about redstuff pads and we come to the conclusion that they work better with heavier cars! so i presume this is the case with your a6

there are a couple of senarios i can try where in the past the stopping power has been some what lacking, i will try one tommorow and let you know,

R

there are a couple of senarios i can try where in the past the stopping power has been some what lacking, i will try one tommorow and let you know,

R

yeah much beter than the existing brakes, the a6 aint renown for its stopping but the ebc kit helps

R

Hey Rabbit

Would you mind doing me a favour? Could you take a couple of snaps of the exhaust boxes in the centre and rear? (or better yet, if your invoice has part numbers of the boxes used - mine does)

I had powerflow fitted by a dealer and although looks good, its lovely up to 1800rpm, after that it sounds like its all wrong - i think the back pressure is all screwed - difficult to describe - it sounds like a misfire.

I have already found a couple of blow holes from the system (by putting hands over the tail pipe), which i am not impressed with.

Thanks

Hey Rabbit

Would you mind doing me a favour? Could you take a couple of snaps of the exhaust boxes in the centre and rear? (or better yet, if your invoice has part numbers of the boxes used - mine does)

I had powerflow fitted by a dealer and although looks good, its lovely up to 1800rpm, after that it sounds like its all wrong - i think the back pressure is all screwed - difficult to describe - it sounds like a misfire.

I have already found a couple of blow holes from the system (by putting hands over the tail pipe), which i am not impressed with.

Thanks

Yeah

Aint got paperwork but I will sort out a couple of pics later this week, and get any numbers on the boxes

r

Cheers buddy. I have it booked in on Saturday for them to look at it, and will make sure they do it properly this time.

Also noticed that the exit tail pipes are smaller diameter than the pipe from the cats to the rear silencer, so i suspect there is restriction there too, not to mention the blow holes which make it sound rubbish above 2000rpm.

Cheers buddy. I have it booked in on Saturday for them to look at it, and will make sure they do it properly this time.

Also noticed that the exit tail pipes are smaller diameter than the pipe from the cats to the rear silencer, so i suspect there is restriction there too, not to mention the blow holes which make it sound rubbish above 2000rpm.
I have taken about 10 pics, giv me your personal e.mail and i will send them 2 you later today or tomorrow, as ten to the forum is a bit much i think.
Anway the spec of the exhaust is as follows,
pipes cut just after flexi joints, connectors onto 51mm od s/s pipe, pipes joined at middle then onto 4 way box,
L 12"
W 7"
H 4.5"
Then 51mm pipe onto rear boxes
L 15"
Dia 7"
out to tail pipes

hope this helps

r