Car Tuning and Styling Car Forums
Go Back   TorqueCars car forums > Torquecars.com General Discussion Car Forums > General car Chat
Forgot password? reset | Read our Help
General car Chat Discuss general car tuning, styling and driving (Things that would also work on just about every other type of car.) This includes a new Diesel subforum along with our Polls and Styling forum.

Viewing: Stop your windows from misting up.

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder
Car: A3 2.0 TDI

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stop your windows from misting up.

Just been given a tip it will be quite good if it works.

Smear shampoo over the inside windows and it will reduce or eliminate misting up. It works on mirrors as well apparently. (I don't own any shampoo so I'm going to knick my wifes and see if it works )
waynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Track Warrior

trooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud of

I take it you've a solar panel.....lol

Let us know if it works.
Trooper (Ann) sadly passed away after a long battle with cancer - we will miss her. These posts will live on as a memorial to her and we will all miss her very much and she has had a big impact on this forum with her wit and enthusiasm.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute

Just a wee* bit too tall for my hair!

*Notice the twang of Scottish thar lassie!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Track Warrior

trooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud oftrooper has much to be proud of

Your Scottish is getting better, nae be lang afore yur gid!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

It does work! I put half of my widows with new shampoo and half were left - the shampoo half did not mist up! (It does not have dandruff either!)

I did only put a very light misting on and rubbed it well in and it seemed to work well!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Track Warrior

Brilliant will need to try it.
Old 19-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Power tuner

vr1066 will become famous soon enough

just mentioned this to a few guys at work and they all agree it works.

Would have been nice if they mentioned it to me. Nothing worse than all my windows steaming while ******* j/k
Old 29-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wrench Kid

dahat will become famous soon enough

nice one people.........my car is chronic for it..............have to use damn air con to clear it.....any particular brand of shampoo???
dahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

I used some of my wifes Kerastase - at a few million quid per bottle so don't tell her I think most stuff should work ok as long as its not an all in one - conditioner can be a bit smearey!
Old 29-12-2006, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Road burner
Car: Ford Focus 1.4

StevieDB9 is a glorious beacon of lightStevieDB9 is a glorious beacon of lightStevieDB9 is a glorious beacon of light

have to try this on ma dads car, focus, apparently bad for steaming up
StevieDB9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Power tuner
Car: VW Jetta 1989 1.6

wizzer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Stop your windows from misting up.

Had this problem and did a search and turned this thread up. Hope you dont mind me bumping it. Good tip there.
wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Loz
Very Senior Member
Torque King
Car: MX-5

Loz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT: I never noticed the date, D'OH!

I've got a mini dehumidifier I leave in the car when it's cold & wet, because I have a small leak I can't find at the moment, but I'll give this a go on the rear perspex windows. I was considering trying a Rainex type product on my rear window to see what effect that has.

If anyone's car is suffering badly from steaming up, it could be worth having a peak under the carpets just in case you have a small leak too. But I admit four damp adults & a wet dog will give any car problems as well

Last edited by Loz; 18-11-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Torque King
Car: E39

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute

Holts does an anti mist product which works well. A/C has got to be the best option though
HDi fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
Torque Junkie
Car: prelude 2.2vtec jap

prevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynne View Post
Just been given a tip it will be quite good if it works.

Smear shampoo over the inside windows and it will reduce or eliminate misting up. It works on mirrors as well apparently. (I don't own any shampoo so I'm going to knick my wifes and see if it works )
ha ha mate, and you slagged me for using baby oil for shinig a dashboard

before we all know it tc members will be putting make-up on their cars
bit of mascara for the front headlights = better than any angel eyes conversion
dangle earings of the wing mirrors
Old 18-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
Torque Junkie

prevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud ofprevtec has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDi fun View Post
Holts does an anti mist product which works well. A/C has got to be the best option though
yeah i agree, 10 seconds and its as clear as day
prevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevtec View Post
ha ha mate, and you slagged me for using baby oil for shinig a dashboard

before we all know it tc members will be putting make-up on their cars
bit of mascara for the front headlights = better than any angel eyes conversion
dangle earings of the wing mirrors
Don't you all do that already? I've got some nice hoop earrings for my mirrors.
Old 19-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

HDI A/C doesn't work below 5 degrees - it needs a temperature difference or something.
Old 19-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
Torque Junkie

Quote:
Don't you all do that already? I've got some nice hoop earrings for my mirrors.
ha ha i can picture you and all
prevtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

Thats wrong. Its Pimp my ride gone bad!
Old 19-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Torque King
Car: E39

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
HDI A/C doesn't work below 5 degrees - it needs a temperature difference or something.
It does, indeed, need a temperature differential other wise the evaporator would have to drop below zero degrees, thus icing it up and stopping airflow.

As long as the condenser (the under bonnet a/c radiator) is at a higher temperature than the evaporator then is does work. Engine heat assists this. And simply running the system causes the condenser side to heat up above ambient. I can verify this as I've been driving a/c cars since 1997 and they all engage compressor and demist at sub zero temps
HDi fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread
Like this thread? Bookmark it & spread the word: