Car Tuning and Styling Car Forums
Go Back   TorqueCars car forums > Torquecars.com General Discussion Car Forums > General car Chat
Forgot password? reset | Read our Help
General car Chat Discuss general car tuning, styling and driving (Things that would also work on just about every other type of car.) This includes a new Diesel subforum along with our Polls and Styling forum.

Viewing: How do you defrost your windscreen?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 29-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder
Car: A3 2.0 TDI

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you defrost your windscreen?

What do you use to get the frost off your windscreen? I used a plastic scraper until I found that it was scratching the glass. I have a friend who uses a credit card but I dont want to stuff up my card cos I use it a lot.
waynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder
Car: Octy smoke machine

pgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond repute

normally use a plastic scraper but here the thing i use the rubber strip

have you got a libary card or something similer ?

pgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Torque King
Car: E39

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic lemonade bottle with tap water and a can of cheap 'n' nasty tesco de-icer spray. I hate Tesco groceries and the fresh meat is plain horrible but I'm happy to use de-icer from there.
HDi fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Track Warrior

blacklineninja has much to be proud ofblacklineninja has much to be proud ofblacklineninja has much to be proud ofblacklineninja has much to be proud ofblacklineninja has much to be proud ofblacklineninja has much to be proud of

When you get home at night after using your car for the last time, open the windows and let the car take in the cold air for 5 minutes.

When you return to the car in the morning your windows will only have a minimal amount of frosting. It will be bl**dy cold though!
Old 30-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute

I use lukewarm water - it stops it refreezing and you dont get the ice on the inside that you tend to get with de-icer sprays.
Old 30-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wrench Pro

BUDZ will become famous soon enough

ive used water boiled from the kettle b4 but i have been told not to do that as the glass may crack so i wouldnt advise it as such yet coz its fast i still do it ill pay 1 day im sure
BUDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder

pgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond repute

i used to use the hot water outo the tap , then again at ma mums its pretty much boiling a min after it comes outo the tap, but was told this would crack the window so have sinse stopped but i see alot of people use it
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
Torque master

fingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond reputefingers has a reputation beyond repute

I leave my wipers at full sweep with some big bits of card underneath stopping the frost getting to the glass. Walk out in the morning, remove the card, job done. 8)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder

do that at work with a survial blanket but no at hame some c**t would nick it as parked on the street
Old 02-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Torque King

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute

lukewarm tap water is good. Not out of the kettle and hot. I've got one of those heated front windscreen efforts - it works to a point but once you've noticed the wires they are an annoyance year in year out. Every bloody day
Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

I had a monitor with 2 horizontal wires - when I noticed them they really started to annoy me. (It was a 22 inch CRT with aperture grill - it was good but TFT is soo much better.)

So I can sympathize with you HDi - try wearing dark glasses it might help.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Torque King

I reckon the monitor was a Sony Trinitron model. Yes, I agree, those wires are bloody irritating once you've seen 'em.

Fine in a telly (Sony's been making 'em since the mid 1970's) as you sit further away from it.

Those wired windscreen things were originally introduced by Ford as far back as the late 1980's.

They do work very very well indeed but the array of vertical wires is irritating. It's so easy to focus on them mesmerically and then ignore the road completely.

Makes you wonder how safe they really are.

Hopefully someone will create some kind of glass surfacing technology where the whole screen is conductive, thereby removing the fine vertical lines from the screen.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Grease Monkey

MR.Lee will become famous soon enough

I just run the car for about 10 minutes while I stand in the front room with a nice warm brew 8)

Obviously this requires a spare set of keys to lock the car up while its running.
MR.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder

well it was minus 4.5 when i went to work this morning very hard frozen and id slept in a bit
so went back to using the warm water in a bottle 15 secs to to the whole car

the wife who left with me took 5 mins to clear her front window
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Torque King

Warm water in a squeezy bottle is looking popular. Another thing to do is turn on all your lamps (mains, fogs, the lot). It adds to the electrical load which makes the engine working every so slightly harder. It also defrosts all the lights.

I also turn on rear window demister because it's linked to the door mirror heaters (most are) so they get cleared. Also adds more electric load.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDi
I also turn on rear window demister because it's linked to the door mirror heaters (most are) so they get cleared. Also adds more electric load
i wonder if thats how mines work it says that they are heated but couldnt get them to work
theres nothing in the handbook about them and the civic had them but them were on al the time i think.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

On My A3 if you lift the door handle before unlocking it the heated mirrors kick in. They also kick in if the temperature is below 5 degrees - probably the same on your car as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder

ill give it a try next time its frosty

the mirrrors are the things i always forget about when defrosting
Old 11-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Road burner
Car: Ford Fiesta Zetec-S

Pixel is a glorious beacon of lightPixel is a glorious beacon of lightPixel is a glorious beacon of light

This shouldn't even be a discussion

Boil the kettle for 30 seconds until the water is lukewarm and pour it over the glass, the ice melts in seconds leaving the windows clear as day. I usually stick the heaters on when the car has warmed up to sort out the inside. And lukewarm water will not crack the glass, boiling water probably wont either but it has happened before so don't take the risk.

Some say...
(Referring to The Stig)

He was raised by a pack of wolves...
His fingernails have 330bhp...
His favourite food is raw meat...
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tuner
Car: Polo 1.1

wyze will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do you defrost your windscreen?

30 seconds is all my kettle takes to boil the water so that would be too hot. Cold water from the tap does the job fine to me. Its over 0 degrees so will melt the ice. If you use enough it doesnt refreeze either.
wyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Track Warrior
Car: Pug 206 LX

gendox is just really nicegendox is just really nice

the rumor is in older cars the window will crack with boiling water newer cars i dont think so but my rover windscreen cracked when i pored boiling water over it last year that was a 1997 haha gutted
Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

I think the laws of physics say any thick peiece of glass, laminated or not will crack if you pour boiling water on it.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
Track Warrior
Car: Pug 206 LX

gendox is just really nicegendox is just really nice

mine did haha it was chipped in the first place though ???
gendox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Track Warrior
Car: 95 300zx TT (RIP)

Wcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant futureWcnwzrd has a brilliant future

i have to let the truck warm up in the mornings anyways so just turn on the heater to full and let it defrost while i finish getting ready, normally about 10 to 15 min. side mirrors get frosted every so often but hardly use them unless im backing so don't bother me.
Wcnwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder
Car: Insignia SRI.

turbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond repute

Cold water does the job for me if my screen is really icy.