Car Tuning and Styling Car Forums
Go Back   TorqueCars car forums > Torquecars.com General Discussion Car Forums > General car Chat > Diesel Chat
Forgot password? reset | Read our Help
Diesel Chat All General diesel related topics here. Tuning, driving and technical enquiries. Please use the makes and models forums for model specific questions and comments.

Viewing: What happens if you put petrol in a Diesel engine?

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 27-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Torque King
Car: Passat 2.0 TDi 170

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens if you put petrol in a Diesel engine?

Small dilutions of diesel won't hurt a petrol engine. It certainly won't clean anything though, and might harm the cat and lambda sensor(s)
HDi fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Grease Monkey
Car: astra cdti150 sri

muzzer will become famous soon enough

i did it last yr. filled to brim with petrol on xmas eve drove home from local petrol station approx 800 metres car started misfiring as i got it on drive when i tried to start it wouldnt start realised wot i had done cost me 80 to have petrol drained and the cost of the petrol did i feel stupid
muzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Grease Monkey

i did it last yr. filled to brim with petrol on xmas eve drove home from local petrol station approx 800 metres car started misfiring as i got it on drive when i tried to start it wouldnt start realised wot i had done cost me 80 to have petrol drained and the cost of the petrol did i feel stupid didnt do my engine any harm
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Track Warrior

billyo has a spectacular aura about

That cant have helped your MPG at the time it sounds like you were lucky though for it not to do any harm. Was this in the Astra?
billyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Loz
Very Senior Member
Torque King
Car: MX-5

Loz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond reputeLoz has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in thinking that an old bodge to get your old smokey derv through it's Mot was to mix some petrol in, to reduce the emmisions?
Would't suggest it with modern engines though
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #31 (permalink)
Grease Monkey

yes was the astra the guy who emptied put some petrol in it and got it running for me
he actually siad he does loads and its very rare that it does any damage
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
Torque King

HDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond reputeHDi fun has a reputation beyond repute

SOme people have been lucky and got away with this. Others have been hit with massive bills for all the injectors and a high pressure pump.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Power tuner
Car: SEAT Leon 2.0l TDi

Chris Green is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: What happens if you put petrol in a Diesel engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDi fun View Post
SOme people have been lucky and got away with this. Others have been hit with massive bills for all the injectors and a high pressure pump.
Think I fell into the 'lucky' category. Topped my Citroen C4 2.0 tdi with about 20% petrol (I checked later - this is the one local garage where ALL the hoses are black!), drove from west London to Swindon before the car objected. Pollution fault light came on and put car into 'limp home' mode (just as well it did really!). AA guy cleared the fault via the OBD port but didn't suspect the wrong fuel, but the condition came back 10 miles from Hereford. It wasn't till I got to where I was going that I spotted the till receipt! Booked it into nearest Citroen dealer and had it drained, with a change of fuel filter.

No lasting problems and that was 15,000 miles ago, although I sold it last week. Just wait for the fuel pump to crap out now!
Chris Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Torque King

You were very lucky. I've got the 2.2HDi and apparently rail pressure is something like 1300bar so I really hope I don't put the wrong stuff in.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder
Car: A3 2.0 TDI

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto that. You are a lucky driver. Don't suppose you mentioned it to the new owner?

Hang on I've just bought a C4 2.0 Tdi from a guy in West London with a pencil moustache!

When it comes to pricing - the oil companies have us all over a barrell!
waynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Power tuner

No you're Ok - I haven't enough hair to cultivate a pencil moustache. Anyway, palmed it off on a dealer. Caveat Emptor
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Torque King

That's fair enough. Dealers have a duty of care that's a bit more formal than is required of a private seller. They'll check it over thoroughly with any luck. Additionally, if the pump does fail they have access to labour and parts at trade prices so it's not likely to be so costly to fix anyway.

I would advise you don't make the mistake with the Leon though. The 2.0 units are common rail and the pressures are HIGH. Any loss of boundary lubrication in the pump, such as caused by dilution of diesel fuel with petrol will wreck it pretty quickly.
Old 18-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #38 (permalink)
Grease Monkey
Car: Pug 206 1.4 HDi

chrisjacks will become famous soon enough

if you fill up with the wrong fuel, for example you put petrol in a diesel.

IF you have locked the car and gone to pay for it, DO NOT unlock the car, you can cause damage by unlocking it.

this is becuase diesel engines used to take a while to turn on, that same time is still there it just starts when you unlock the car now so the pump can turn on even if you unlock it.
chrisjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute

Good point that chrisjacks. Some older cars don't prime the pump until the key goes in the ignition. It pays to listen carefully as you unlock the car to see which yours does!
Old 19-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #40 (permalink)
Torque King

It pays more to not fill a diesel vehicle with petrol
Old 19-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #41 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

Speaking fuel caps anyone?
Old 19-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
Torque King

I think that's already been done.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Grease Monkey
Car: Ford Connect 200

robcab will become famous soon enough

Bit of a bump here.
Hello everyone, my apologies but I have joined the forum mainly to ask this one question.

Yesterday I half filled (25 litres) my company Ford Connect TDCI with unleaded. It was 4am and I stupidly drove the remaining 3/4 mile to the yard at work where I left it for 12 hours. When I finished work I started it only to reverse it onto a couple of ramps so I could get to the fuel tank. The inlet to the fuel tank (which is half way up the side of the tank) is a 1.5" flexible rubber hose which I disconnected and then proceeded to drain off the top half of the fuel working on the (admittedly optimistic) idea that most of the petrol will be floating on top. I then stuck a pipe into the tank and drained another 4 or 5 litres, only stopping when I'd filled the available drums. I then took the van to the same petrol station and filled it up with 28 litres of diesel. Now the fuel that I got out smelled like neat petrol and since the mishap I have started it 4 times and travelled 160 miles and added another 12 litres of diesel and it seems to be running fine.
So my question is this, if the HP pump or injectors are knackered would they have given up the ghost by now or am I still in for a nasty surprise somewhere down the road?
Thanks for any advice guys.

Edit: I should add that when I started it the second time it took some doing and gave out a big cloud of white smoke before ticking over nicely which obviously suggests that at least some petrol found its way through

Edit 2: I also stuck in 1/2 litre of oil and have just added some Redex Diesel Engine Cleaner.
robcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
Torque King

You've probably gotten away with it. Does the TDCi have a particle filter?

The other thing that's very good apparently is standard ATF (don't use Dexron II) added to the petrol diesel mix.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Grease Monkey

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply HDI, much appreciated.
I'm not sure about the filter, it's a 58 plate (yep, vertually brand new) if that helps?
What difference will the filter make?

Edit: Don't think it has. After a quick look on google it looks like it is only on the top spec Connect Sportvan or at the very least it's an optional extra.

Last edited by robcab; 04-02-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
Torque King

It almost certainly will have one then. Essentially nothing bad will happen provided that the exhaust temperature doesn't get so high that it damages the pressure differential sensors. I'd be cautious of adding any more oil to it at this point, just keep topping the tank with diesel as often as possible.

I reckon you'll get away with it; just don't load it up any more than necessary by which I mean basically drive it gently. The biggest problem is that petrol has very little lubricity compared to diesel and this can lead to premature high pressure pump and injector wear. THe fuel pressure rises quite early on in the rev range so if you can keep to around 2000rpm (probably 70mph in top anyway) you will minimise the load on the fuel system.

Without the particle filter you could chuck in a litre of ATF but I'd advise against this and just nurse it along.

The redex diesel additive was a good move, incidentally.

Are you the only driver of the vehicle? And was the fuel purchase made with a company fuel card? If not then play dumb.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Grease Monkey

Well, the van has a limiter on for 70mph so I can't rag the arse of it even if I wanted to. Plus most of my mileage is motorway at the mo.
I am the only driver and have a fuel card, however I paid for the unleaded out of my own pocket so there's no paper chain.
And yep, if I can get through the petrol that's still in the tank (1000 miles maybe?) then it's my word against the lease company's.
Cheers for your reply's HDI, you've put my mind at rest.

Last edited by robcab; 04-02-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #48 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Power tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDi fun View Post
You were very lucky. I've got the 2.2HDi and apparently rail pressure is something like 1300bar so I really hope I don't put the wrong stuff in.
1300 bars? That's some pub crawl! No seriously according to my calculations that's 1300 x 14.7/2240 = 8.53 TONS (!) per sq inch.

That's about the same as an elephant standing on one leg in high heels, which is what you'd start seeing if you went into 1300 bars.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #49 (permalink)
Tuner
Car: maserati

chrisjlf is a jewel in the rough

hey rob you def got away with it lol,i did the sam doh! and tryed to fix it pretty much doin what you did....less actually and all was fine,so stop worrying if you still have any doubts.
chrisjlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #50 (permalink)
Torque King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Green View Post
1300 bars? That's some pub crawl! No seriously according to my calculations that's 1300 x 14.7/2240 = 8.53 TONS (!) per sq inch.

That's about the same as an elephant standing on one leg in high heels, which is what you'd start seeing if you went into 1300 bars.
That's right. It is ridiculously high. And I have not confused BAR with pounds force per sqaure inch.

It's for this reason that it's often advised to not tinker with high pressure diesel systems. There is a reported case of a stuck injector boring a hole into the piston crown.

Apparently the V6 HDi used in the 407 Coupe and Jaguar S type, amongst others runs at 1900 BAR!!
Reply Post New Thread
Like this thread? Bookmark it & spread the word: