Car Tuning and Styling Car Forums
Go Back   TorqueCars car forums > Torquecars.com General Discussion Car Forums > General car Chat > Valeting/detailing
Forgot password? reset | Read our Help
Valeting/detailing A forum for car cleaning, valeting and detailing questions, tips and discussions

Viewing: Removing scratches from the windscreen

ReplyPost New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder
Car: A3 2.0 TDI

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Removing scratches from the windscreen

I have a lot of minor scratches in the windscreen on my new car that i'd like to remove.

I think the previous owner must have used a hedgehog with a brillo pad hat on it to clear the windscreen. (probably just an ice scraper.)

So I'm looking at
1) Special glass polishing compound and a drill attachement.
2) Stone chip repair resin and an applicator.
3) Brick and doing an insurance job!

I wonder which will work best. Are there any polishing compounds out there that will do what I need it to, remove the light scratches and scuffs?

When it comes to pricing - the oil companies have us all over a barrell!
waynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Road burner
Car: E30 touring 325i

Olley is a splendid one to beholdOlley is a splendid one to beholdOlley is a splendid one to beholdOlley is a splendid one to beholdOlley is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Removing scratches from the windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynne View Post
I have a lot of minor scratches in the windscreen on my new car that i'd like to remove.

I think the previous owner must have used a hedgehog with a brillo pad hat on it to clear the windscreen. (probably just an ice scraper.)

So I'm looking at

I wonder which will work best. Are there any polishing compounds out there that will do what I need it to, remove the light scratches and scuffs?
OPTION three. and upgrade to heated screen, eliminating the need for an ice scraper....
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
The Torque Meister
Car: 82 trans am kitt

lutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond reputelutonmatt has a reputation beyond repute

1 works well have had that done before on one of my old cars

resident MOT tester
lutonmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Loyal Member
Road burner
Car: ZenVXI'04/SX4ZXI'09

picassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond reputepicassoonwheels has a reputation beyond repute

What you can do on your own is actually clean out the scratches individually, and use option 2 if you feel you can do a good job of it.

Personally I would not go in for option 1 because it needs an expert hand and a novice may leave curves and depressions that will behave like prisms and ruin the screen more dangerous due to refraction.

Even with option 2 you have to be careful.

So the best bet is option 3 as , as per the best of my knowledge, it does not effect the premium next year.( At least with N.U. it doesn't) but make sure they have the replacement in stock or you may-be spending weeks in a windy seat..

Bear in mind I do not promote or condone fraud.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

waynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond reputewaynne has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry I certainly won't be deliberately breaking the screen myself. I'll just be waiting for that ubiquitous stone chip.

What compound did you use Lutonmatt?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tuner
Car: Renault Dauphine

Richard1 is just really niceRichard1 is just really nice

I bought the Janvil kit and used it on my Corvair and BMW. A few cautions:

The Corvair windows I have been working on are tempered. Very hard to effect much change, although I've taken the big scratches to where you can no longer catch your nails in them. That was with the rough compound, finishing with the fine one. Even just taking it down that little, it is easy to distort the view.

On the BMW I did the windshield. 22 years of debris hitting had left it in bad shape with millions of pits. The windshields are not tempered (laminated) so they are softer. Only use the finer compound, LOTS of water spray (two person job) and work until the compound is basically worn out or you will have swirl marks.

If there was a professional here, I'd have left it to them. I have not decided whether I will try to polish out the scratches on my Mini windshield or take it to the glass factory to have a mold made and a new windshield like I did with the Corvair. All the side and rear glass on the Mini is straight, so I'll have the glass place make new pieces copying the old.
Richard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wrench Kid
Car: CarTucsonVanVivaro

highland will become famous soon enough

Quote:

So I'm looking at

I use a Makita polisher with a mirka compound head and 3m cutting compound to remove scratches ..if that doesn't work ...get a new screen
highland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Very Senior Member
Torque Junkie
Car: Evo 8 @ 400bhp

bigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond reputebigbadjoe has a reputation beyond repute

Where is PGarner when you need him? He would know what compound to use to get the scratches out.

I have a little patch myself. Where my misses boy tried to clean some bird poop off with a key!!!

As you can guess, I was not impressed. But have been assured that they will come out with the right stuff.
bigbadjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wrench Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe View Post
Where is PGarner when you need him? He would know what compound to use to get the scratches out.

I have a little patch myself. Where my misses boy tried to clean some bird poop off with a key!!!

As you can guess, I was not impressed. But have been assured that they will come out with the right stuff.
If 3m cutting compound wont do it forget it ..its very gritty to begin with until mop head breaks it down to a polish..you will need a wax polish and grey mop head to get shine back
Old 18-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wrench Kid

Now I've got past the 10 post ..I can give you guys some real advice on screens ..check out this forum some of the best advice in the world on screen repair http://www.windshield-repair-forum.c...wforum.php?f=7

I personally use Delta kits which I think is the dogs B##### but I'm biased (but right ! )
Old 18-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder
Car: Insignia SRI.

turbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond repute

Please refrain from swearing.

Quote:
[*]We have a strict NO SWIMSUIT NUDITY, no bad language policy (This includes substituting &$!## into swear words) across the site and wish to keep it family friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post
Now I've got past the 10 post ..I can give you guys some real advice on screens ..check out this forum some of the best advice in the world on screen repair http://www.windshield-repair-forum.c...wforum.php?f=7

I personally use Delta kits which I think is the dogs but I'm biased (but right ! )
turbonutter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wrench Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonutter69 View Post
Please refrain from swearing.
Ok I wouldn't call it swearing ..but shall not use ####'s in future

Last edited by highland; 18-07-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 19-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder
Car: Insignia SRI.

turbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond reputeturbonutter69 has a reputation beyond repute

Read the quote above. Replacing letters with #* etc is not permitted.
turbonutter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by highland View Post

I personally use Delta kits which I think is the dogs ... but I'm biased (but right ! )
An interesting link thanks! There seems to be a community for everything nowadays!
Old 20-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
TC Founder
Car: Octy smoke machine

pgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond reputepgarner has a reputation beyond repute

you can use the stuff jewelers use but remember heading the glass up will make it likely to distort or possibly even crack

bbj 3m fast cut might be too heavy for the mitsi paint

and why the hell did you let her loose with a key on it. break a couple of her fingers so she wont do it again

pgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
TC Founder

Pit polish seems to be the stuff to use, repairers use it to smooth out the repaired area. Has anyone used Pit Polish? Can you buy it in the UK?
Old 27-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wrench Kid

Quote:
Pit polish seems to be the stuff to use, repairers use it to smooth out the repaired area. Has anyone used Pit Polish? Can you buy it in the UK?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Un...item2ec2dffccb
The Following User Says Thank You to highland For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wrench Kid
Car: Mazda Rx8

Mpeterson will become famous soon enough

Just make completely sure that they have the alternative in inventory or you may-be investing several weeks in a breezy chair . . . . .
Mpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread
Like this thread? Bookmark it & spread the word: